Waikiki Hotel recs needed please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My father in law has asked me to do some researching for him for a hotel (and possible hotel/car package) in the Waikiki area. I'm not really at all familiar with the area so that's why I'm asking for some help.
This is the criteria he sent me:
"I was hoping to get something beach-side that includes every 4thday free, daily breakfast included and balcony for my smoker friend. Being relatively close to the beach and market seems like the most interesting place. Of course beach view is best with any extras such as exercise room, luaus etc."
He didn't give me a price range as you can see so I have no idea what something like this would cost him. So fire away on some recommendations and I'll pass them onto him.
Thank you so much in advance.

Old Jan 25th, 2008, 07:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This will be easy!

There are only a few beach-front hotels in Waikiki (less than a dozen).

And more important smoking rules are incredibly strict these days in Hawaii, you can't do it in hotel rooms or even on the lanai in most places.

free breakfast
4th day free
exercise room
luaus
... will be easy enough to check on a site likek Trip Advisor or calling the hotel direct, once you narrow it down to a few choices

But I'd start with the smoking question because - if that is a must have - it is going to be the most determining factor and significantly narrow down his choices.

Old Jan 25th, 2008, 07:13 AM

Oops, I see it can be a 'relatively close to the beach' does not have to be beachfront... that does open up quite a few more hotels, because there are high-rises that offer good ocean/city views for several blocks in from the beach.

Still my comment about the smoking situation stands above.

If he has a price range in mind, posting that will help people be able to make appropriate suggestions here for him.

suze

Old Jan 25th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Suze,
I'll try to get a price range out of him!

Is it usually cheaper to book air, hotel, and car separately, or go with a package deal?

I've been to Kauai, Maui, and the Big Island myself but I am a condo girl so have always booked separately. The hotel thing and Waikiki area is out of my range of knowledge.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 07:55 AM

The ResortQuest hotels often offer the 4th night free special. I looked on their website and looks like they are only offering that for Maui. But they do have web fares that are 40% off so you might want to look at those prices.

Hawaii put into affect a strict Smoking Law in 2006. However hotels can have smoking rooms so just make sure that type of room is available.

We stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach last June. They have breakfast specials and I think they have stay 4 get 5th night free.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 08:08 AM

The New Otani Kamaina ( http://www.kaimana.com/index.html ) has a 4th night free, and a $100 food credit at it's restaurants, listed in it's internet specials. Doesn't have a pool, but it's right on the best section of the beach ... like a warm, sloshy bathtub. Wonderful views if you get one of the suites (not really, more just a large room) with a wraparound balcony looking at the ocean and the city.

One of my favorites on the quieter end of Waikiki ...
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 08:21 AM

I think Outrigger is an excellent suggestion. Should be able to meet all your criteria. Why don't you check their website. I think they have 4 properties in Waikiki. 1 of those properties I know has a nice restaurant. Outrigger Waikiki and it is on the beach.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 11:52 AM

New Otani is beautiful but all guest rooms are non-smoking according to their website.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 02:06 PM

suze, I got the impression the friend will only be smoking on a balcony. I search New Otani website, and it didn't say anything about not smoking on your balcony, as far as I could see.

suze, haven't you stayed at the Hawaiiana, and if so, exactly which kind of room did you get there? I was thinking of staying there a couple of nights next time in Hawaii but then read some real crappy reviews on TA ...
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 02:31 PM

These days many hotels that say non-smoking room, includes no smoking on the lanais either. If it is important to his friend, I'm just cautioning Seaera to ask the question very specifically.

Yes, I love the Hawaiiana Hotel. I've stayed in two types of rooms.

I most like the (unremodeled) 1st floor garden-view rooms in the Hau or Awapuhi buildings (there's a map on the website) that feature a full wall of slats that look onto the pool and gardens.

I have not read the reviews lately. What all are they complaining about now?

I remember reading one about there was rust on the bathroom mirror and a stain on the carpet... and that was in fact true in my room. But for the price and for the setting, I really don't care about those things myself.

It's clean, it's safe, it's homey. I could live there for months (some snowbirds do).

Every room has an equipped kitchen, fairly spaceous, true aloha feel, 1/2 fresh pineapple in your room when you arrive, BBQ grills for a tiny fee set up on the lawn for your use upon request, friendly front desk staff to assist you, free coffee and juice on the patio in the morning, etc.

When I go to Hawaii I want to FEEL like I am in the islands, even though I'm in Waikiki. So I prefer Hawaiiana, Breakers, Royal Grove instead of staying in a typical high-rise hotel.

elsiemoo~ If you have other questions feel free to ask me. Happy to help if I can.

seaera~ Sorry to hijack your thread. Actually now that I mention it the Hawaiiana does let people smoke out on the lawn, but they it's a humble place, no luaus or entertainment or anything.

Old Jan 27th, 2008, 04:50 AM

Resortquest usually has 4th or 5th day free. Outrigger & Ohana hotels sometimes do.

Many others do also.

www.resortquesthawaii.com

www.outrigger.com

www.ohanahotels.com

www.visit-oahu.com Free brochure. There are over 400 websites for lodging, restaurants, attractions in the brochure & on the site. Click on: OVB Yellow Pages

Lots of info:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 05:17 PM

Hawaii imposed strict smoking guidelines Nov 2006- no smoking within 20 feet of doorways, windows, vents etc of any building. No smoking on lanai. Unfortunately more butts on beaches and roadways!

Meanwhile, in Waikiki we've recently stayed in 2 'old Hawaii' places on Beachwalk and we felt the previously loved Hawaiiana was rundown whereas The Breakers was dated but spotless and safe, with great service! Both close to beach.

The New Otani is another favorite, we love Sans Souci Beach and a park across the street, you're away from the crowds, closer to Diamond Head but rooms are small, and you are 'out of the Waikiki action'. A great oceanfront stroll away if your father-in-law likes to walk.