Reload this Page >

waikiki hotel for kids at xmas time?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 03:49 PM
patty

Please help. We are going to waikiki at xmas time for 10 days with our kids(11,9). We are trying to choose between the outrigger waikiki in a voyagers club room or the royal hawaiian hotel in a large luxury garden view room. The room at the royal is quite a bit larger but has no lanai. We like the amenities at the outrigger(breakfast,evening coktails), but are afraid that the room will be too small and the property not as nice as the royal. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also, any info on the keiki programs at either property would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 10:52 PM
xxx

patty,

i would stay at the royal hawaiian, mandarin, or halekulani. MUCH nicer than outrigger hotel.

aloha from hawaii

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 01:23 AM
Melissa

For Christmas?! There is no comparison. I would take the Royal Hawaiian over the Outrigger even if it were NOT Christmas.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 04:39 AM
Sloane

I just passed on one of my favorite hotels in Waikiki the Sheraton Moana in order to entertain kids. We stayed at the Royal Hawaiian it was crowded and gross. I would not recommend unless you know you will be there during a slow time. They started charging for the evening show at the pool. The pool is like a giant bath with people every few steps. We were skipped by on some complimentary gifts and service we were told later because the hotel just cannot accommodate the guest. Go to the Moana and get personal service let the kids swim on the beach. Also every year the Moana decorates nicely for xmas. Oh yes Honolulu has a great display of lights around downtown if you have not been. I would go to the visitor bureaus website and find out more detail. I lived on Oahu and watched them begin the preparation for xmas in September. There is a parade, when the tree come in on the boats it is usually a media event. Have fun, find out about capacity at the Hilton before you stay. If it is slow you will have a good time, busy and you are a sardine. Moana also gives you a welcoming lei. HHV you may stand on line more reflective on a movie line when signing in.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Sloane

Apologies I stayed at the Royal Hawaiian on a 00 stay and found it steril and lacking aloha service charm. This past summer vacation we were at I found the RH also to be very institutional, large dark empty lobby areas. There is not quick access to the beach or it is restricted most of the day even for guest. There is a pretty grassy area in front the hotel on beach again roped off to guest. Sit on a hard wood lounger with no seat padding if this suits you. Oh yes also had the expensive buffet where the waitress slapped down the bill on my table when I was just into my third bite of food.

The Hilton Hawaiian Village, sorry for confusion in this last post I was referring to when discussing the crowded pool ect... I think the Moana appeals to me most. The Halikilani is too far out of my budget but looks wonderful does not seem like a kids place though. Nevertheless any hotel you choose in Waikiki will be easy access to kids events. Check out interactive programs at Sealife Park. Some programs such as swim with dolphins need to be booked months in advance. The kids with us did a swim with sting rays for only 13 dollars each.

Property at Outrigger will probably as you are guessing not be as nice I just wonder if they are more family friendly. If the prices are the same go with RH but if RH is sig more go with Outrigger. Outrigger just has more of a family vacation feel to it. RH seems better when you are not staying there at least that was my experience.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 06:59 AM
Sloane

RH has beach access through a long walk way that is about a city block from the central lobby. You can get there from the lobby but in a walk around the hotel kind of way. I found this annoying especially when I wanted to pop back to my room for something.