Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Waikiki hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/waikiki-hotel-341613/)

lmaz Jul 27th, 2003 03:19 PM

Waikiki hotel

We have 3 nights in Waikiki before heading to Kauai. Is it worthwhile paying extra to stay on the beach or okay at one of the hotels 1 block or so away? What do you think and any suggestions? Travelling with 2 boys aged 11 and 7 and 2 adults.

Alohamom Jul 27th, 2003 04:36 PM

We have found the Sheraton Princess Kauilani to be the best value for the money because of it's location. It is directly across K-ave from Waikiki beach, rather than on it but you can see the beach from the ocean view rooms.The Sheraton Moana Surfrider partially blocks the view. In Waikiki we find we do not use our rooms for more than a place to lay our heads as there is so much to do, see, eat, buy etc...So this hotel works out perfect as you are central to the action, in the middle of the strip yet you are not paying the huge bucks for the beach front location. It is not high end by any means, just an average Sheraton but not a dive like some of the other hotels that are not on the beach. Another couple of good choices are the Marriott and the newly done Aston as they are also directly across the road to the beach without any other buildings blockin the way.

islandmom Jul 27th, 2003 09:42 PM

The farther you get away from the beach the worse the hotels are condition-wise.

MelissaHI Jul 27th, 2003 11:17 PM

I used to work at the Hawaiian Regent (which is now the Marriott) and that was/is a good value across the street from the beach. A block behind it is the Waikiki Sunset and the Waikiki Banyan, which are condo/hotels. I used to park THERE and noticed a lot of families there so those are probably pretty decent choices. As long as you are across the street from the beach, it is convenient enough...you don't have to be right on it!

trishfromoz Jul 28th, 2003 03:22 AM

Melissa, I have just booked at the Sunset for the end of August, the Princess was booked out, is it a decent hotel for families?

bryarsmom Jul 28th, 2003 09:46 AM

We researched alot before our first trip, and chose the Waikiki Parc Hotel-it's across the st. from ocean(100 yds.) and you can easily see and hear the ocean from your oceanview rooms. We particularly enjoyed the value of getting a wonderful, bountiful breakfast buffet and med. size rental car also included in the hotel price. No airport/hotel trans needed-you pick up your rental right at the small airport.Service at the Parc was tops! Very attentive staff-they were always so helpful and never seemed to mind all our questions. The rooms were well-appointed, exceptionally clean. When we arrived, the front desk out-of-the-blue upgraded us to deluxe oceanview!

It was heavenly being lulled to sleep each evening by the sound of the ocean outside our balcony doors(we kept them open at night).

My husband liked the Sheraton Moana Surfrider a few blocks from the Parc. We walked down in the evenings to view the sunset and also to see their live show under that huge Banyan tree. The Surfrider has a great location, but the hotel isn't worth their super high rates.

Have a fabulous time.

Patty Jul 28th, 2003 09:49 AM

I've found that the rooms at the Princess Kaiulani vary quite a bit depending on the tower/wing. I particularly did not like the Kaiulani wing. We requested a room change after the first evening and got a nicer room in the Princess(?) wing overlooking the pool. The best non-beachfront hotel is probably the Hyatt. The Marriott is also a good choice.

bryarsmom Jul 28th, 2003 09:54 AM

Oh, one more thing-I agree with islandmom-the further away, the lower quality hotel.

Be sure to get to the north shore and treat the kids to Matsumoto's shaved ice! Fantastic and cheap!!!

vivi Jul 29th, 2003 06:33 AM

I agree with patty--the rooms at the PK greatly vary. I have stayed there about 6 times, the rooms in the front tower overlooking the pool are definitely nicer than the shabby and cramped rear tower rooms. I could not imagine having a family of 4 crammed in one of those rooms.

My favorite mid-range hotel in Waikiki in the Waikiki Beach Marriott.

MelissaHI Jul 30th, 2003 12:33 PM

Trishfromoz, the Waikiki Sunset should be decent. In fact, I'm calling them right now to see about rates for my cousin, who is coming to visit me in a few months.....

Mauigirl Jul 30th, 2003 06:56 PM

Trishfromoz - I've stayed at the Sunset about 3 times - never been disappointed. Since it's a condo property, there's no on-site restaurant, but there are so many within walking distance, that it doesn't matter. I've stayed in 1 & 2 BR oceanview units, and enjoyed both. It's about a 2 block walk to the beach & very convenient to most everything.

trishfromoz Jul 31st, 2003 10:31 PM

thanks for that, I have also found a shuttle from the airport so we are all set, 8 days to go!