Waikiki Farmer's Markets

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Waikiki Farmer's Markets

Hello and thanks in advance. I will be in Waikiki next month, w/out a car. I am looking for tips on local fresh shopping possibilities and free entertainment.

So far for Farmer's Markets (thank you kind posters at TA) I have: Tues & Fri AM at the Comm Ctr next to Banyan Hotel on Ohua & Thur AM in pkg lot near Waikiki Shell. Any others to know about?

Are there still dance and music performances nightly at the free stage at the Royal Hawaiian shopping center (I know there is remodel in this area)? What's up with the Hula Mound? or Waikiki Shell?

Any other ideas for going local, free or cheap, much much appreciated. Suze
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 02:29 PM

Suze

This is a list of Farmer's Markets on all islands:

http://www.hawaiiag.org/Markets/marketslist.htm

The one at Kapiolani Community College across from entrance to Diamond Head is considered to be one of the better ones on Oahu. Also Chinatown.

Aslo Friday night free Polynesian show & fireworks at HHV.

Free shows at the International Market Place stage once or twice a week.

Free Keiki hula show at Ala Moana Center main stage Sunday mornings.

You can read the entire This Week magazine online now either page by page or pdf file. It has days & times for the free shows.

www.thisweek.com

Calendar of Events:

http://calendar.gohawaii.com/
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 02:41 PM

MelissaHI posted a list of free enterntainment in Waikiki... if I find it, I'll come back with a link.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 02:42 PM

this is the thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34907182
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Dusty, so helpful, as always. And Faina for your detective work.

I'll print everything out & take it along. That's a lot to get me started. I'm traveling with a friend this time, and he also is collecting ideas along these lines.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 03:03 PM

I'd greatly prefer the KCC/Diamond Head Farmer's Market to any of those in Waikiki! Don't forget to check um out in chinatown...and while you are at it come visit me at Aloha Tower Marketplace so I can shake your hand!!!
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

hi there Melissa, Problem being I'm on foot (or was hoping to be) in central Waikiki. That's why I mentioned those 3 that appeared to me to be in places I could walk easy enough, right?
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 03:50 PM

hmmm, depends on how "central" in Waikiki. The DH Farmer's Market is not a bad walk if you are in shape. You could also catch the bus.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

melissa, thanks, mostly am wanting to supplement grocery store/ABC shopping... I'm in an apartment for only 1 week at Hawaiian King on Nohonani. Don't mind walking, but more looking to know what's convenient and fresh, not necessarily bussing around or needing the very best or biggest market. Just a few fruits & veggies and wanting the opportunity to buy local.
Thank you! suze
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

hi again Melissa- the KCC/Diamond Head market you are referring to... where exactly is it? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but I don't know the area or see that particular name on Dusty's list.

Since I started this post, my friend I'm traveling with expressed particular interest in seeing any and all farmers markets we can get ourselves to, so am trying to get it together ahead of time. Thanks everyone!
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 12:29 PM

Suze

Kapiolani Community college is on the list.

http://www.hawaiiag.org/Markets/marketslist.htm

4303 Diamond Head Road. It is almost directly across from the Diamond Head entrance into the crater.

Saturday 8am-12n

Take Monsarrat Ave. (back side of zoo).

Monsarrat becomes Diamond Head Road. On this map, KCC is just past where Alohea intersects with Diamond Head Road. It is probably a little over 1 mile from Zoo entrance to KCC.

http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/o...i_makapuu.html
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Dusty. I wasn't understanding the initials - KCC, DH, etc. Again my thanks to you all, I'll buy a pineapple or papaya or something in your honor! Leaving 2 weeks from today, whoo-hoo.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 11:06 PM

sorry, suze, I was on Kauai this weekend and was only posting to one thread.

If you can, I hope you can make it to the KCC farmer's market. Their stuff is really the best, and so much more unique than the others.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 06:22 AM

If you head to the KCC market I'd recommend three things: take the bus, bring your appetite and get there early. I used to live down the street (toward Waikiki) and it's almost all uphill from Waikiki. There are several booths from restaurants and the KCC culinary program that sell prepared food and drinks, and they're very good (especially the Thai iced coffee from KCC). And the vendors only bring a limited number of items for sale, and they start to run out around 11.

You should also take a minute to stroll around the cactus garden off the parking lot.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone. For all your help and the specific details. Very much appreciated. Mahalo. You're the best!