Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Waikiki Beach Sitting - bring your own chairs?

Jun 7th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Just wondering what most people do regarding a day at the beach. Will be staying at Hilton Hawaiian Village (HHV) and didn't want to have to pay the $50/day (or something close to that amount) to rent chairs and an umbrella while we relax and watch the kids play on the beach all day.

Do people bring their own from home OR do they buy some inexpensive chairs/umbrellas there at a local store? Also, what about boogie boards? I know my kids will be wanting to do that also. We have boogie boards at home, but not sure how they would travel to Hawaii?
Jun 7th, 2004, 02:35 PM

Mlarson - I believe I've read on other posts that some people purchase beach chairs at a nearby ABC store (or somewhere like that). But I'm sure the real Hawaiian experts will soon fill you in. BTW - I'm following your posts and taking notes for my OWN vacation. I believe you're leaving before me. Hope you don't mind <smile>.
Jun 7th, 2004, 02:41 PM

You can pick up cheap beach chairs and beach umbrellas at any ABC store. They're everywhere in Waikiki. Longs, KMart, costco also carry these locally and cheap.

The boogey boards travel fine. Make a bag out of old beach towels and just check them thru. call the airline ahead though, Some may try to charge you surfboard fees, which they shouldn't, as they are way shorter and not fragile!
Jun 7th, 2004, 03:04 PM

When we arrived in Chicago, we were surprised to see two foam type boogie boards, ($16. at HNL ABC store) come out through the baggage carousel with nothing more than a tag on them.

AA ? HNL / ORD
Jun 7th, 2004, 04:06 PM

We always bring our beach chairs and large umbrella when we go to Hawaii. We simply get a bag at the airport at check in and tag them and on the plane they go. We visit the islands every other year and have never had a problem checking them.
Jun 9th, 2004, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

What "bag" at the airport are you referring to? Is it something the airlines provide? And, do you have to buy it?

We're planning to check in online via Continental's online check in service, so we're going to check in our baggage outside and then go straight to the gate.

BTW, Continental is offerring a special right now. IF you check in online, you receive a coupon for FREE head sets to watch the inflight movies (per ticket). SO, we're were excited because that's a savings for my family of $20.00.

ALso, I didn't know this, but some friends of ours just got back from their Hawaii trip to Maui, and they said that on the airplanes, when you get a headset, you also have access to games for the kids. I thought that was great! Now we don't have to bother with their CD players and gameboys as they'll be able to listen to music and play games compliments of the airlines!