Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   waikiki beach access (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/waikiki-beach-access-496280/)

Johnwaron Jan 18th, 2005 05:04 AM

waikiki beach access

I'm curious.

For this coming summer I've arranged my families first trip to Hawaii. Part of this trip will be a stay in Honolulu at a hotel across the street from the beach at Waikiki. What I'm wondering about is how to access that beach. Does one walk through the other hotels grounds? Are there walkways designated for this purpose? Or does one walk several blocks to a point where there are no hotels lining the beach?

So can any of you Honolulu residents or previous visitors advise us?

JohnD Jan 18th, 2005 05:17 AM

Suspect the answer will vary depending upon which hotel you're staying at. Care to share the name of the hotel((?))

Johnwaron Jan 18th, 2005 06:08 AM

We'll be staying at the Waikiki Beachcomber.

JohnD Jan 18th, 2005 06:20 AM

Website claims 297 steps to beach,:? perhaps this link with map will aid someone's memory<font color="blue">:
http://www.waikikibeachcomber.com/location.html</font>

auntiemaria Jan 18th, 2005 07:30 AM

You'll be across the street from the big Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center, so you'll want to use any of the pedestrian crosswalks to get to the beach side of Kalakaua Avenue. It would probably be easiest just to use the sidewalk until you reach the beach near the police station...

Johnwaron Jan 18th, 2005 08:57 AM

That's a nice picture, but it doesn't have any of the other hotels on it. I'm not suprised, why advertise for anyone else's property?

So far it looks like going to a spot not fronted by some other hotel is necessary. Not a problem, it's just good to know.

gigib Jan 18th, 2005 11:03 AM

Check out the Oahu Revealed aerial photo of your hotel at www.wizardpub.com. You can always walk right through the Royal Hawaiian (the old pink hotel) grounds and out their back door to the beach, they don't mind.

suze Jan 18th, 2005 01:56 PM

There's hardly a place where hotels don't line the beach!!

And some are more welcoming to walk thru than others (I found the Royal Hawaiian quite intimidating) with large open air malls with shops and restaurants.

suze Jan 18th, 2005 02:00 PM

Sorry that was not very clear above... Some of the hotels have huge open arcades from the sidewalk all the way thru to the beach that are clearly and definitely open to the public.

You'd rarely/never have to walk &lt;several blocks&gt; out of your way.

anita Jan 18th, 2005 05:46 PM

I stayed at the Beachcomber about 20 years ago. I think we accessed the beach from a walkway between the Sheraton Moana and Outrigger Waikiki These are located to the left of the Beachcomber if you're looking at the ocean.

cawhite Jan 18th, 2005 07:06 PM

We stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach last summer. If you walk across to the Outrigger, there is a &quot;thruway&quot; of stores that are on the right-hand side of the Outrigger. Definitely a public accessway, but it leads to the Outrigger lobby (to your left at the end of the thruway), or out to the Outrigger pool and the beach (if you continue straight).

Make sure you go to the International Marketplace (right next door to your hotel). I hear they are tearing it down this year... but not sure when.

Johnwaron Jan 19th, 2005 05:12 AM

&quot;Make sure you go to the International Marketplace (right next door to your hotel). I hear they are tearing it down this year... but not sure when.&quot;

I hope constuction doesn't make staying next door a hassle.

Beyond that, thanks to all for helping. All the replies were great, and thanks in particular for reminding of the Wizard Publications website. I'd forgotten about that inspite of having two of their books.

hawaiilovers Jun 8th, 2011 03:27 PM

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber. It was very nice, and close to the beach. Their website says it's 300 steps from the Waikiki Beach: www.waikikibeachcomberresort.com

suze Jun 8th, 2011 04:22 PM

hawaiilovers, This post is over 6 years old.

sylvia3 Jun 9th, 2011 10:14 AM

So, a troll.

suze Jun 9th, 2011 10:17 AM

or advertising

dusty56438 Jun 10th, 2011 07:00 PM

Even though the topic is six years old, I'll answer it in case someone needs to know six years from now.

There is an access almost directly across Kalakaua from Beachcomber. It's right next to Cheesecake Factory.