W hotels NYC (or other similar ones)

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W hotels NYC (or other similar ones)

Hi all

Contemplating a long weekend in NYC soon.
I've stayed at le Parker Meridien before, the Roosevelt, and a few others whose names escape me. Thinking of trying a new one.
The W hotels look intriguing and the price is right.

Still haven't decided on a location yet, has anyone here stayed at various ones and have any suggestions? Not sure I want to stay in Times Square but it's always a possibility.

other suggestions for hotels similar to that are welcome too.

thank you!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:21 AM

Consider the W at Union Square, which is a great area. Although I'm not familiar with the rooms, the hotel is great, including a couple of good bars and restaurants, including Todd English's Olives.
It's also within a block or two of Grammercy Tavern, Union Square Cafe, Blue Water Grill, Mesa Grill and many others.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:59 AM

flygirl, What did you think of the le Parker Meridien? Did you happen to try the brunch there that some have said is fabulous? I have heard good things about the Giraffe, but have not stayed there personally. Happy Planning!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 08:08 AM

I've seen some of the rooms at NYC W hotels, and they tend to be tiny, particularly the "base rate" rooms.

So be aware.

That being said, the Union Square location and midtown east location are great. Personally, I'd avoid Times Square (crowds, noise, fannypacks, etc.).
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

eriberri, the brunch was FABULOUS. we were there for a friend's wedding a few years ago, many people stayed there, and she had her morning-after brunch there. it was wonderful. great views of the park, too. I may end up staying there again, not sure, but I do like trying different hotels each time.

gekko, precisely! that's why I would avoid it. Union Square does sound good too, thank you Patrick.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 08:37 AM

The rooms at the W NY (on Lexington Ave. across from the back of the Waldorf) are evidently miniscule and I don't love the location anyway. The ones on east 39 st are rehabs of European style smaller hotels and sound ok. One of them has a very trendy bar. The Union Square location is trendiest. If you're looking for trendy, the Gansevoort in the meatpacking district is a consideration.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 09:13 AM

I stayed at the W in Union square and thought it was great. I don't think the room was tiny. I mean, it wasn't large, and it just had the one king size bed, but for a NYC hotel room I thought it was fine. Very comfortable. Hotel service was very good. The location was good for walking around and shopping. And we had an outstanding meal at Gramercy Tavern, which is, as Patrick points out, just a couple blocks away.

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 09:24 AM

The rooms at the Hotel Gansevoort are VERY nice. Funky vibe, beautiful water views, etc.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 10:00 AM

I've stayed at the W Times Square and the W Court, near Grand Central Station. Times Square is right in the middle of everything and has a very hip bar and well-respected restaurant. The rooms are very trendy and style-forward, but can be small.

I love the W chain and think they are one of the best examples of breaking out of the tired hotel chain mold. But they are not for everyone and you have to be prepared for form over function.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 10:11 AM

I've seen a room with 2 double bed (or queen, i can't remember) at the Union Sq W. It was a decent size room for NYC standards and very well appointed. I'm not crazy about Olives, but there are dozens of great restaurants in the area. I've only been in the lobby of the Times Sq W and couldn't standard it. It was small, dark and loud. The Unin Sq hotel has a much more open feel lobby area. The SOho Grand would also be a 'hip' kind of place in a very trendy neighborhood.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 11:06 AM

I have stayed at both the W at Union Square and the W at Times Square.

I enjoyed the Union Square hotel. The rooms were a nice size; a little spartan in that kind of modern, hip, Ian Schrager style. Also, liked the location and the neighborhood.

I would not stay at the W at Times Square. The rooms are tiny, tiny, tiny. After one night, I moved to the Westin two blocks away. Bigger room, better service, better value.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 11:56 AM

My boss stayed at the W on Lexington Avenue last week. This is a man who travels EVERY WEEK. He said the W had managed to create the smallest hotel room he had ever seen. Just passing on his comment for what it's worth.

He usually stays at the Essex House.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 12:18 PM

Not in the same swank category but we stay at the Omni Berkshire which I like because of all the nice amenities and the rooms are large.

I haven't checked it out but Kimpton has a new hotel in NYC too- I generally like their properties for the same reasons.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 12:22 PM

I think the Kimpton Hotel is the 70 Park Avenue. Check reviews on tripadvisor.