Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

W Hotel San Diego - Is it out of the way?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the WHotel San Diego a bit out of the way. I want to stay in the general gaslamp "lively" districts but do not know where this hotel is? Advice?
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:38 PM

The W Hotel is downtown, but it is not in the Gaslamp. It is around State and B, a couple blocks north of Broadway, which is the main Downtown street. It is walking distance to the Gaslamp, but is not in the heart of it.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:01 PM

I forgot to add that if you want to stay at a Starwood property, the Westin Horton Plaza is adjacent to the Gaslamp and in a "livelier" area. It's right off Broadway, behind the Spreckels Theater. It is adjacent to the Horton Plaza Mall which has several restaurants and the Lyceum Theater. You can easily walk to the Gaslamp from the Westin.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:00 PM

There is a new Hilton in Gaslamp, close to trolley and seaport village. This seems to be a good location. The W is not as close as I,m sure you would like.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 02:10 PM

I was just at the W this past weekend - it's a 5 minute walk to Horton Plaza and 10-15 minutes max walk to Gaslamp district, + there are cabs everywhere. The W is a happening place and way cooler than the Westin - the night scene in the lobby is a blast and the rooftop poolbar is great! If you're single the W is the place to be,
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 02:30 PM

I would just add that the W, despite being a bit off by itself, is basically centrally-located for a downtown hotel. I've walked from there up to Little Italy, down to Horton Plaza and the Gaslamp District, and over to the docks. Taxis will take you anywhere else you want to go (up to Hillcrest, over to Balboa Park, etc.). And it's brand-new and really snazzy! The vibe is young and fun, so I think you can do much worse.