Search

NYC for one day only?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2003, 12:15 PM
nkh
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC for one day only?

In June my husband and I are flying back from our vacation (transcontinental, so we will be tired) and will have a one night stopover in New York City. We will land at JFK at 4:30pm (so probably 5:30pm by the time we make it out of the airport) and can arrange for our ongoing flight for the next day any time from 8am through to 6pm check-in (LaGuardia).

We are wondering if, since we have never visited New York, it is worth it to leave late on the departure day and try to see some of the city in a single day, or if that is just too much of a task and we should leave it for a "New York dedicated" trip.

If it would be worth it to visit for the day, any suggestions on the best things to see, or what can be fit in?

At some point in NY we would like to see the Statue of Liberty (you cant go up it any more, can you?), the Empire State building, lots of the art galleries, a Broadway show, and eat at some of the great restaurants.... and probably many other things too!

What would be a wise selection to fit into our single day, especially given that the evening we arrive we will be really jetlagged and probably wont be in the mood to do much except MAYBE a restaurant (so mainly talking about just our departure day). Feel free to include a "must do or see" not on my quick list.

We were thinking of staying in Midtown - is this a good compromise for accessiblity to the city sites and LaGuardia airport?

Thanks very much for your help!
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 12:29 PM

I would DEFINATELY take the late flight out the next day and see what you can of NYC in one day.

I would leave the museums/art galleries for another time as those are places that you can spend a whole day each at if you chose to do so.

I think it would be easy to go to top of Empire State Building in the morning (this will at least give you a bird's eye view of NYC and get you excited about coming back), see a B'way show (matinee), and have a nice meal all within the time frame you are considering.

Take ths opportunity to come visit, as you never know when the next time you'll have the chance to return.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 12:33 PM
GoTravel

I hate to say this, but after being gone on a long vacation with a long flight, all I want to do is go home! If you are going to be jet lagged, then I'd skip NYC this time.

Old Feb 17th, 2003, 12:41 PM

I would definitely take the day to see NYC. Statue of Liberty takes an entire day, I would skip it for now.

Begin by going to the top of the Empire State Building. I would make two suggestions for the remainder of the day: either go to South Street Seaport and take a sight-seeing cruise that takes you around Manhattan or stroll around in Greenwich Village, SoHO or around Tymes Square. You can find decent restaurants in any of those places. Also, if you're not too tired, walk rather than taking the subway. That's how you get to see the most.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 12:48 PM

I agree with GoTravel. I would save New York for another trip.
1. You're being extremely optimistic in thinking you'll leave JFK by 5:30.
2. You'll probably be too tired to really enjoy a meal that evening.
3. You'll probably still be tired in the morning.
4. You really won't have that much time, even if you schedule a 6 p.m. flight. (If you're leaving midweek, you'll have to contend with traffic leaving the city and will have to all an hour to get to the airport, just in case." Thus, you should probably leave for the airport no later than 3.)
(PS: Forget about hotel's suggestion of a Broadway matinee. You'd never be able to do that and get to the airport on time!)
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 01:19 PM

I guess I'm so used to longer transatlantic flights I don't think you'd be that jetlagged coming east at that hour. If you've never been to NY and you're just coming from the west coast (ie NOT Hawaii) I say go for it. You will be arriving in rush hour traffic, but it should be in the other direction.

Don't think you can chance getting tickets to a show for your one night, in case the plane is delayed. I would do something splashy, touristy & fun on that night. Do a dinner cruise around Manhattan (you'd see Lady Liberty from the boat) or dinner at the River Cafe in Brooklyn with a view of NY or something like that, really memorable. The following morning is when you might feel tired. I would go to the Empire State Building & maybe head to one of the art gallery neighborhoods for a walk, lunch & to the airport.
Hopefully it will leave your appetite whetted.