Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   w hollywood hotel during holidays (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/w-hollywood-hotel-during-holidays-477076/)

betha Sep 27th, 2004 06:24 PM

w hollywood hotel during holidays

My husband and I and our 2 teenagers are visiting LA over the holidays and are undecided between Le Parc Suites and Best Western Sunset Plaza (which can accommodate us supposedly in a suite or 2 adjoining rooms). The latter sounds more interesting but will it be extremely noisy over the holidays (12/27-12/30)?

Patrick Sep 27th, 2004 06:32 PM

Le Parc is OK, but I haven't stayed there in years. Summerfield Suites used to be a sister property of theirs and I like it and its location much better. They have some one bedroom suites with a totally separate bedroom, sleeper sofa, and a bath between the two rooms. They also have secure parking below the building and a roof top pool and terrace with spectacular views. You can walk two blocks up to Sunset from there.

betha Sep 27th, 2004 06:35 PM

Thanks, Patrick. I'll look in to Summerfield Suites.

betha Sep 27th, 2004 06:55 PM

Is anyone familiar with the Sunset Plaza's environment at the holidays? I know it's not exactly upscale, but the more upscale hotels in the vicinity strike me as somewhat exclusive/snooty, and--while we're not hillbillies--we would like to relax on this trip!

uhoh_busted Sep 27th, 2004 07:38 PM

M'am, you're going to California. Southern California. We were there last Christmas and stayed in Beverly Hills. People are relaxed and laid back. I don't think you need to worry about people being snooty. We had a fantastic time. All the snooty folks must be off skiing in Aspen or Park City over the holidays.

tracys2cents Sep 27th, 2004 08:57 PM

I like the Sunset Plaza a lot, the rooms are comfy and the place is small enough that you get good service. The teenagers will probably love the location on the Sunset Strip. The rooms are really too small for 4 people, but if you get two rooms you'll be fine. Ask for something in the back. The hotel doesn't have a nightclub or anything so it's one of the quieter choices in the vicinity.

HuisClos Sep 27th, 2004 08:59 PM

No, it's generally quiet between Christmas and the New Year. It will be noisy NY Eve. Sunset Plaza is a good location, mid strip, and easy to walk to places along the strip, whether you want to go to an outdoor cafe, Carney's hot dogs, a club (House of Blue, Whiskey, Viper Room, Key Club, Roxy) to hear live music, a little further to the Comedy Club.

And as Uhoh said, we ARE laid back. Attitudes are left east of the Rockies.

tracys2cents Sep 27th, 2004 09:12 PM

Apparently the Sunset Plaza will be doing "some remodeling at the end of the year" so you'll probably want to check on the particulars. They might not know too many details at this point but if you decide to stay there, definitely phone them mid-December to get the details on noise etc.

betha Sep 28th, 2004 03:55 PM

Thanks to all of you for your helpful advice. We can't wait to get there.