Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   VT-Country Inn needed-foliage (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/vt-country-inn-needed-foliage-40885/)

Michael F. Mar 25th, 1999 09:21 AM

VT-Country Inn needed-foliage

My wife and I are looking for recommendations for a good country Inn in central or northern VT. We are interested in a romantic stay away from all the hustle and bustle of city life. Any help would be greatly appreciated - there are sooo many to pick from.

Carol Mar 25th, 1999 01:05 PM

Micheal, <BR>Some of my favorite VT inns are: <BR>Cornicupia in Dorset,VT, The 1811 House in Manchester Village, The Inn at Ormsby Hill, also in Manchester, or Rabbitt Hill in Lower Waterford <BR>They all have Web sites.

Beth Mar 25th, 1999 03:07 PM

Another great place is the Wildflower Inn in Lyndonville. It's located in Vermont's Northeast Kingdom.

Dick Hardy Mar 25th, 1999 03:27 PM

Look into Kedron Valley Inn. We stayed there several years ago and liked it a lot - great dining room, too. They had just been named one of the top 10 country inns in the country. Dick

Donna Mar 27th, 1999 11:36 AM

Last Fall we stayed in Middlebury VT at the Brookside Meadows B&B. It's on a quiet road but minutes from the college town of Middlebury. Between Middlebury and Burlington there's interesting places to visit, including Shelburne Museum and of course, Church St. shopping in downtown Burlington where we had a fabulous lunch. There's also the ferry across the lake to Ausable Chasm. The hosts at Brookside are lovely people. If you want extra privacy you can ask for the 2 bedroom apt but you won't want to miss breakfast with your hosts and other guests. Yankee magazine has a great website for info, also do a search on Middlebury VT Bed and Breakfast. I would book now for foliage season.

Donna Mar 27th, 1999 10:23 PM

You may want to consider the town of Stowe (1-80024STOWE for excellent tourist literature and a comprehensive booklet on lodging choices). We love The Gables Inn. Even if you don't stay there, be sure to go for breakfast (best anywhere). Stowe is a gorgeous village with scenic drives in every direction, wonderful restaurants, fabulous shopping. Nearby, you can take a gondola ride to the top of Mount Mansfield (highest peak in Vermont) where there's a fabulously romantic restaurant with incredible food. The gondola ride down afterward in the dark with the lights twinkling everywhere is positively magical. A hidden jewel is a restaurant called Zack's in Montgomery Center. Wonderful food and a truly unique atmosphere. About a half hour drive from Stowe. Zack also rents a terrific cottage on the side of a mountain. There's a fireplace in the living room and one in the bedroom. Spectacular panoramic views from the deck. A true romantic retreat. Books way ahead though. First week of October is best time to go.

Stanleyps Jan 7th, 2008 06:24 AM

I just returned from Vermont. I stayed at Deerhill Inn in West Dover and The Inn at Ormsby Hill in Manchester. Deerhill Inn was country chic with a fabulous restaurant. The views from the inn are incredible. It's very cozy and comfortable. The Inn at Ormsby Hill is as luxurious as Deerhill Inn is casual. Built in 1767 it is very gracious and elegant. The rooms are all beautifully appointment and they all have fireplaces. I stayed in the Library. It's a HUGE room with antiques. The breakfast they serve is reason enough to go. She is a published chef and they serve a delicious breakfast full of variety and

Way_North Jan 7th, 2008 06:43 AM

Stanleyps, it is puzzling how you found 9 year old post. Why? LOL!