Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   VIVA VAX VEGAS!!!!! BUSINESS "JUNKET" IN MARCH. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/viva-vax-vegas-business-junket-in-march-874724/)

shanek Jan 22nd, 2011 03:31 PM

VIVA VAX VEGAS!!!!! BUSINESS "JUNKET" IN MARCH.

shanek Jan 22nd, 2011 03:45 PM

We have been fortunate enough to win an all expenses paid trip from OZ to Vegas as part of a sales promotion by one of our suppliers, Vax vacuum cleaners.

The trip includes 5 nights accomodation for Kerry and I at Wynn, most meals, a helicopter trip to the Grand Canyon and other, yet to be revealed surprises.

For those of you that didn't read my trip report, from June/July last year, we spent 5 weeks on the West Coast with our kids which included a brief side trip to Vegas. This time, the kids will be staying at home with Kerry's parents and we will get to see a very different Vegas.

We will also be extending the trip to add 3 nights in LA, to take in a Lakers game and catch up with a few things we missed last time.

All my research last time was spent on planning activities based around the kids but this time it will be all about us, so any tips or recommendation for some "adult" time in both locations would be most welcome.

We arrive in Vegas on Monday the 7th of March and will be spending the 12th, 13th and 14th nights in LA.....Only 43 more sleeps!!!!!

tomfuller Jan 22nd, 2011 11:35 PM

When you stop in the evening at the Fremont Street Experience, drop into the Golden Nugget to see the world's largest gold nugget on public display. It came from OZ! There is even an ATM
next to the nugget that dispenses gold coins.
For an unforgettable experience, there is a zipline ride under the LED display on Fremont.
If you want to get out of the city for a day trip, Red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire and Hoover Dam are all worth seeing.
The helicopter ride to Grand Canyon sounds like a blast, remember to take lots of pictures.

divineMissM Jan 23rd, 2011 09:27 AM

Are you flying from Vegas to Los Angeles, or doing the smart thing and flying from Vegas to Burbank?

shanek Jan 23rd, 2011 12:20 PM

Thanks Guys. I love ziplines but never thought about doing one through the streets in Vegas!!! I will check out the Nugget. I can remember clearly when it was found but didn't realise where it has ended up.

Out flights have been booked and as most of the delegates are transferring direct to an International flight, we are flying in to LAX. What is the advantage with flying to Burbank??

ziggypop Jan 23rd, 2011 02:26 PM

shanek, my wife and I went to see Zumanity at New York New York. The show is adult only entertainment, funny and a show that is worth seeing. No kids means you can step out a little....right?

tomfuller Jan 23rd, 2011 02:54 PM

Besides being a little cheaper to fly into/out of, Burbank will save you at least 10 miles of city driving in Los Angeles.
You will still have to drive across the Mojave Desert on I-15 or take a $75-$100/pp flight from either to Las Vegas.
LAX is right next to the ocean. If you are spending a night in Los Angeles when you come or leave, LAX will work. You may have to go through LAX for US Customs.

shanek Jan 24th, 2011 12:57 PM

We definately will be attending a few shows, but not having seen any of the Cirque productions, I thought that one of their more "mainstream" shows may be better for a first timer. I was thinking that "O" might suit us best.

simpsonc510 Jan 26th, 2011 04:19 PM

Congratulations, Shane!! Lucky you!!

I think you might enjoy Red Rock Canyon. Can you rent a car for a day? The drive is not that far out of Vegas. I just 'discovered' the canyon last week (on my umpteenth+ trip to LV!). Very easy to find. And the 13 miles scenic drive (it'll cost you $7 to enter the canyon) was really nice. Lots of places where you can stop the car and get out. Your kids would have enjoyed this as well. Anyway, at least give it some consideration. All you do is drive west on Charlston Street (from downtown LV) and it's about 2-3 miles on the right side of the road, after you leave the city proper. You'll feel like you are miles away from everywhere. Very peaceful. Maybe 20 miles from the strip?

Wynn is really nice. I'm sure you'll enjoy staying there!

By the way, thanks for supporting my suggestion (Boathouse) on Kata Beach!! Much appreciated.

Have a great time. Try not to miss your kids toooo much.

Carol

shanek Jan 26th, 2011 07:04 PM

Thanks Carol.

I havn't seen you over "this" side before. I got some amazing help with my Californian trip last year from the good people here and I'm sure this trip will be just as memmorable.

I am working on a proposed itinerary that I will post on a seperate thread over the next few days. I would appreciate any comments you wish to make. I have always got great advice from you in the past. I followed your last few trips to Bangkok even though I didn't post anything. I always use your shopping tips!!!!

Red Rock Canyon sounds like a great day trip. I plan on hiring a Mustang Convertible for a day and will head out there.

As for Kata Beach, it is definately one of my favorite spots and will always suggest that people stay there ahead of Patong. I think we have similar tastes as I always seem to agree with your suggestions!!!

Carrabella Jan 26th, 2011 08:53 PM

Shanek, I second Red Rock Canyon - but half a day is probably enough - it's not far. It's also possible to do a day trip from Vegas to Death Valley, if you've not been before, and the drive around Lake Mead, with the red, treeless banks is interesting. We (fellow Aussies) are going again in Spring, and including Vegas again, for the umpteenth time. It's an interesting place , and has grown so much since we first went there, twenty years ago or so. Completely unsustainable, in my humble opinion, but fascinating. Don't miss the Conservatory and fountains at Bellagio, and the operatic performers at Venetian.

We also like driving back to LA via the Mojave Desert,on Cima Road through Kelso. It's not that far from the super-busy freeway, yet you will probably see more trains than cars - train drivers give you a friendly toot too!

Congratulations on your wonderful prize. Am sure you'll have fun.