Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Visiting New York City 5-9 December from Scotland

Visiting New York City 5-9 December from Scotland

Nov 1st, 1998, 04:05 AM
Jan

Visiting New York City 5-9 December from Scotland

My husband and I will be visiting New York City from Dec 5 through 9. Any advice as to tours, eating out, sightseeing would be welcome.

Nov 1st, 1998, 02:16 PM
Paul Rabe

Suggestions for a four day stay:

Metropolitan Museum of Art (must see)
Museum of Natural History (must see)
Staten Island Ferry (best way to see Statue of Liberty, and it only cost 50 cents per person, round trip -- yes, that's right, 50 cents)
Macy's (unless you hate crowds, this is the place to shop)
FAO Schwartz (see above comment)
Pizza at Ray's
World Trade Towers (on a clear day)
Central Park (pay the money and take a horse carriage ride)
Times Square (no longer sleazy)
Fifth Avenue (suggest you ONLY window shop, these are "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it" shops)

For this short a visit and at this time of year, I recommend you NOT take the boat out to the Statue of Liberty; you really won't see much more and you'll use up half a day in lines.

Nov 1st, 1998, 02:37 PM
Karen

Be sure to do the harbor cruise...the commentary was superb and well worth the two hours.

Nov 1st, 1998, 08:45 PM
Donna

I agree with the recommendation to take the harbor cruise. Actually, I thought the views of the Statue of Liberty were better as the boat goes right by. But, we thoroughly enjoyed going to Liberty Island and standing next to the SOL. Riding to the top was not that exciting, though, and probably not worth a wait in line, although the lines may not be there in December. We took the boat excursion that also included a trip to Ellis Island, a very worthwhile visit. Also highly recommend a drink at the Rainbow Promenade Lounge (on the same floor of Rockefeller Center as the Rainbow Room) where, for the price of a drink, the view of NYC at night (especially the Empire State Building all lit up at night)is spectacular. If you walk down the hall and look out the windows, the bird's eye view of Central Park is fabulous. We loved the horse and carriage ride as well. If you love museums, the Metropolitan is a must see. Also wonderful are the Frick Collection (the private collection of a rich American businessman displayed in his private home) and the Cooper-Hewitt. A walk up and down 5th Avenue and Madison Avenue for the window shopping and Christmas decorations would be nice. Be sure to bring warm clothing (warm coat, comfy footwear, hats, gloves, extra sweater) so you'll be comfortable for walking all over. It can be very cold in December. For restaurants, see www.citysearch.com.

Nov 2nd, 1998, 08:24 PM
Karen

Don't forget to go to the UN and take a tour...very interesting.

Search this Thread