Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Visiting Hawaii for 3rd Time - Need help picking island! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/visiting-hawaii-for-3rd-time-need-help-picking-island-951365/)

kcspaz14 Sep 22nd, 2012 12:34 PM

Visiting Hawaii for 3rd Time - Need help picking island!

This will be our 3rd time heading to Hawaii. My wife and I (we are 26 and 27 years old) are heading to Hawaii mid-November for 10 days. My sister lives on Oahu and the last 2 visits we stayed there for our entire visit. We love the north shore and hiking around the island. However, we feel like we've done just about everything there, and would like to visit another island for 4-5 days of our stay this time. We can't decide on an island and need help!

Kauai and Maui seemed to be the best options for us. In terms of importance, hiking, beaches, snorkeling, and restaurants are probably are favorite things to do. We're a little wary of the rough waters in November that will make some beaches not swimmable and effect some of the things we wanted to do in Kauai. It also seems like Maui can get crowded. We're not a big fan of Waikiki because of the crowds and usually avoid that area when visiting Oahu.

We just ordered the Kauai and Maui revealed books. They'll be here next week. In the meantime, I'd love to get some opinions of people who have gone to either or both islands. Any links to articles/sites I could read to help us with this decision would be extremely helpful as well.

Thanks!

ChiSue Sep 22nd, 2012 01:33 PM

Maui suits just about every taste. Kaanapali is most like Waikiki -- though greatly toned down. It's tall buildings, a big mall, very 'buzzy' with lots of back and forth to Lahaina Town.

Napili and Kapalua are much quieter.

We like South Kihei and Wailea. I prefer low-rise, low-density -- and condos. South Maui is more convenient for touring Haleakala and Upcountry, the Iao Valley, and for driving Road to Hana.

You should reserve your rental car ASAP.

Melissa5 Sep 22nd, 2012 02:26 PM

Hi kcspaz14: I've been to Maui, Kaui and the Big Island. I liked the Big Island the best! Have fun choosing. If you choose Maui, I suggest you split your stay and spend some nights on the Hana side of the island, to give you more time to explore some of the hidden gems on that side of the island.

edjim Sep 22nd, 2012 06:30 PM

After Oahu, I don't think that Maui will seem crowded at all. We've been to both Maui and Kauai in November and we had good luck at the beaches then. North Shore in Kauai is more problematic weather-wise, but I don't think you can go wrong at either place.
There may be more hiking options on Kauai, and there may be a little more activity on Maui. But I never felt "crowded" at either island like I did on Oahu.

Shar Sep 22nd, 2012 09:19 PM

I am a Kauai lover. So tropical, the garden isle......Hiking, snorkeling, beaching, bike riding. haven't been to Maui in years as it reminded me of smaller version of Waikiki. Big Island is very diverse which is my 2nd favorite but Kauai in a heartbeat!

wekewoody Sep 23rd, 2012 08:29 AM

The Wailea area on Maui or one of the resorts on the Kohala coast of the Big Island is what I would choose at that time of year. Have fun deciding.

jamie99 Sep 23rd, 2012 10:39 AM

Big Island is nice but OP only has 4-5 days and that island needs double that amount to see a lot.

Kauai is my personal favorite, lots of great hiking, stay south in Poipu in November, plenty of hotels and condos. Maui has a few more beaches but the traffic was so bad last time I went. either one would suit your needs.

Marginal Sep 23rd, 2012 11:38 AM

I'd vote Maui.

Maui and Kauai can both have bad traffic in congested areas, especially during commute time. Maui has beaches that are more easily accessible.

Patty Sep 23rd, 2012 12:18 PM

Between the two I prefer Kauai but I think either would work just fine based on your requirements.

wekewoody Sep 23rd, 2012 01:22 PM

One could argue that 4 or 5 days on any of the islands is hardly enough time to see a lot. :)

nanabee Sep 24th, 2012 06:32 AM

<<In terms of importance, hiking, beaches, snorkeling, and restaurants are probably are favorite things to do.>>

Between Maui and Kauai, I think Kauai has a more old Hawaii feel. The lushness of the landscape, the waterfalls, beaches, houses, etc. But it sounds like you will continue to go back to Hawaii for many years to come, especially since you have family on Oahu, so I would definitely pick a different island each time.