Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Visiting Galveston (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/visiting-galveston-170608/)

Merna Victor Mar 11th, 2002 05:50 AM

Visiting Galveston

We will be attending a wedding in Houston, Texas and have a Sunday to explore the Houston area or nearby cities. We thought we might drive to Galveston as we have previously spent time in Houston. We thought we might drive down, have brunch, see the area. Does anyone have any suggestions?

cd Mar 11th, 2002 08:15 AM

Merena<BR>There's another post up from yours regarding Houston/Galveston. If you've not already read it, you can get some good information.

Nyna Mar 14th, 2002 07:00 AM

I think Hotel Galvez has a nice brunch, but you might want to check it out first. See the historic Strand district, drive the length of the sea wall, visit the tourist office for more info.

Nyna Mar 14th, 2002 07:02 AM

On second thought, I was in Galveston on a Sunday after my sister's wedding last October and it was pretty dead. You might consider seeing other "free" sites in the Houston area. Transco Water Wall, Tranquility Park downtown, etc. Visit a tourist office and they can give you lots of sites to see. It's a huge city, so you can find tons to do in a day "off."

Linda Mar 21st, 2002 08:44 PM

Galveston is a nice drive and, on the way there or back, stop at NASA Road One and see NASA for an interesting experience and on down to Kemah for the Boardwalk.

Galveston Mar 22nd, 2002 05:47 AM

Eat at Gaido's! It's a local institution. Seafood restaurant - you'll spot it by the larger than life crab over the doorway!

connie Mar 22nd, 2002 11:00 AM

I second Guido's

freewoman Mar 22nd, 2002 12:06 PM

There is also a Guido's in Houston. It does not even measure up to the food at the Galveston location.

Lindsey Mar 22nd, 2002 12:16 PM

If you go to Galveston, check out Moody Gardens. Or, if you are into quaint shops, stroll The Strand. Also, I have heard good things about the Mosquito Inn.<BR><BR>If you are here in late April, take time to go to the Houston International Festical.

Linda Mar 22nd, 2002 06:03 PM

Oops, forgot the brunch. Gaido's is excellent but, if for some reason it isn't what you want: Clary's is on Teichelmann Road (just as you cross the causeway into Galveston and behind the Galveston Daily News). In Kemah, now this is not a fancy place but Pier 8 is across the bridge from the boardwalk. It is a buffet for $9.99-$12.99 and has a really good offering. You pick the raw shrimp, scallops, fish, calamari, etc.; the vegetables; pasta and sauce. They stirfry it while you choose the cold buffet of steamed shrimp, crabs, oysters, salad, and seafood gumbo.

Paula Mar 23rd, 2002 06:31 PM

Merna,<BR>SKIP BRUNCH AT HOTEL GALVEZ!! I just returned from Galveston. We stayed at Hotel Galvez & liked the hotel very much, however I saw Sunday Brunch laid out and decided it definately was NOT WORTH $22.50!!