Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Visiting BUffalo (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/visiting-buffalo-449045/)

angelamarak Oct 30th, 2008 03:57 PM

Visiting BUffalo

We are travelling to Buffalo for the Bills/Jets game this weekend. I have a few questions. We are staying at the Hampton Inn on Ridge Road in West Seneca. Is there any way to get to the stadium without driving? Is there maybe a shuttle or something? Also, I get the feeling we are in the middle of nowhere. Are there any trendy pubs or restaurants in that area? Thanks much!

Angie

KathyK Oct 30th, 2008 05:46 PM

You will bave to check with your hotel regarding a shuttle but I doubt that there is one. You're not far from the stadium and it's an easy drive. You are not in the middle of nowhere, but you're not in a desirable part of Buffalo. If you want trendy pubs and restaurants you'll have to travel but nothing is far away in Buffalo. Do you have a car? Are you looking for somewhere to go on Saturday night? Post again with what you're looking for and I can help you. Buffalo is a very easy city to get around in with some great restaurants and you could have a very good time here this weekend if you do a little research which you are doing.

KathyK Oct 31st, 2008 11:13 AM

When I said "not in a desirable part of Buffalo" I didn't mean that West Seneca is unsafe. I just wanted to clarify that. It's just your average suburb with not much to offer in shopping and restaurants. Depending on what you're looking for, you'll find more in East Aurora, the Village of Williamsville and certain neighborhoods in the City of Buffalo (Elmwood and Hertel).

Rachel Oct 31st, 2008 12:37 PM

Kathy is giving you good info. As far as going to the game-give yourself time to get through security. Last home game, security took 45 minutes. that was extraordinarily long and might have had to do with a power outage that game, but do give your self some time. Also, you cannot bring in any drinks, thermos, etc. You can bring in food (sandwiches, snacks, etc) If you are near a Wegmans, they make great subs-unless you are huge eaters, one is plenty for 2 to share. with few exceptions (like the latke stand and the Red Osier Roast Beef stand) the food at the stadium is lousy. Also, no umbrellas, even if its raining. and no beer sales after the conclusion of half time> Enjoy the game, but GO BILLS!

angelamarak Oct 31st, 2008 04:34 PM

Thanks for your replies. On Saturday, we are looking for a nicer, trendier place with a full bar. We can travel to dinner, but then we'd like to come somewhere closer to the hotel for wine or a few drinks. We don't want to be driving anywhere far.

Same thing goes for the game. I think we are planning on a taxi. Are there bars to hang out at before and after the game, that are within walking distance of the stadium?

Thanks again.

Angie

KathyK Oct 31st, 2008 06:52 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "nicer and trendier" There are many great restaurants in Buffalo. What are you looking for? You'll find a full bar at just about any good restaurant. I'm not sure what is near the hotel in West Seneca for later drinks, probably chain restaurants. There are some bars near the stadium. We always tailgate so I've never been to them, but there are a few along Abbott Road right near the stadium. The weather is supposed to be pretty nice, with clear skies and temps in the 50's. I'll check back tomorrow to give restaurant suggestions if you post what type of restaurant you're looking for. Have fun in Buffalo! If you're Jets fans you might find other Jet fans to party with on Saturday night in the bars on Chippewa St. in downtown Buffalo.

angelamarak Nov 1st, 2008 04:34 AM

Hi. Thanks again for the response. I am looking for something with a hipper atmosphere. No college bars, but yet a smaller place with a nice bar scene (martinis, wine) and some good food (nothing like classic italian). The only place I found anywhere near our hotel is a place called Curly's???

KathyK Nov 1st, 2008 10:25 AM

Do you have a car? Curly's is in Lackawanna which isn't all that close to West Seneca. I'd head into the City of Buffalo where you'll find much better restaurants with better bars than anywhere in the suburbs. It will only be abuot a 15 minute ride. Some suggestions are Mothers on Virginia Place (good food, noisy, busy bar), Tempo or Hutch's, both on Delaware, Left Bank on Rhode Island or La Marina on Hertel. There are also alot of more casual places with decent food and busy bars on Elmwood such as Coles and a new place that just opened on the corner of Elmwood and Anderson (the name is escaping me). You could also go to the Pearl Street Brewery (don't try to eat until after 7:00 when the Buffalo Sabres game starts). The bar will be busy after the game. Good luck and report back as to how your stay in Buffalo was.

otto Nov 2nd, 2008 03:28 PM

ooooh i love pearl street.