Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Visit to NYC alone? tips? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/visit-to-nyc-alone-tips-669277/)

claire01 Jan 11th, 2007 06:43 AM

Visit to NYC alone? tips?

I'm thinking about visiting NYC for 2 days on my own in March...was going with family member, but it's not going to work out...however, I don't want to miss my NY trip! I've been several times before, but wondering if anyone has any advice..like good places to eat alone...or even going to a play/concert alone?

I'm looking forward to visiting MOMA, and shopping on my own--so I have half my itinerary filled.

thanks for any ideas!

LittleSalty Jan 11th, 2007 06:54 AM

I'm pretty sure the restaurant the Modern is in (or near?) MOMA, and it just got a 3 star rating from the NY Times. You should be able to get a single ticket to a lot of great shows as well. Venture down to SoHo (W. Broadway and Broadway for great shopping) and maybe hit Balthazar on Spring Street, sit at the bar, and enjoy a great lunch! Check out citysearch.com and timeout.com for some great suggestions. Enjoy!

GoTravel Jan 11th, 2007 06:56 AM

My best trips to NYC are the ones I take alone.

No one else's schedule to cater to and I do exactly what I want to.

Trattoria d'ell Arte on West 57th and Seventh Avenue is one of my favorite solo places to eat.

You will not have any problems or get any weird stares eating alone.

karens Jan 11th, 2007 06:58 AM

I go to NYC alone once a year on a solo shopping/museum visit.

I usually pack a lunch or stop at a place like Dean and DeLuca for a fast bite (to maximize my time).

Friends often volunteer to come with me, but I love shopping for exactly what I want (esp. spending tons of time in the Strand Bookstore) without worrying that my friend is bored and ready to move on.

Art museums after often great to go to alone, just to contemplate everything at your own pace. And I also think there would be a great choice for a meal for you.

MikeT Jan 11th, 2007 07:31 AM

NYC is the PERFECT city to visit on your own, because you aren't going to be the only single person around. The city is full of single residents, business travelers, and leisure travelers all going about their lives by themselves.

Except for maybe the most romantic restaurants, almost all restaurants in NYC are single-diner friendly. You sit at the bar (no smoking in NYC), at a table for two, or whereever you want. It's why diners are popular. I travel to NYC often by myself and have never felt treated poorly by a restaurant.

As for concerts/play, single people actually have an advantage because finding one good seat is usually easier than finding two. And, quite truthfully, once the play/concert starts, you are essentially alone anyway even if you are with a mob.

It's really about confidence. But just realize that although you may be alone, you aren't alone.

Gekko Jan 11th, 2007 07:52 AM

Yes, yesterday Frank Bruni gave the Modern 3 stars ... quite an accomplishment. It's next to MoMA and it is fantastic.

(Eleven Madison Park was also rated 3 stars, and Bruni said/implied that both outshine Meyer's Zagats mainstays Gramercy Tavern & Union Square Cafe ... and I agree.)

escargot Jan 11th, 2007 08:15 AM

As far as restaurants and eating solo and traveling solo whether by choice, for business or pleasure - one of the things I love about NYC is so many people are doing things solo I never feel strange about it - although it really doesn't bother me anyway -
however, places that I find very comfortable or even fun to eat alone are:

Agree with GoTravel about Trattorie dell'Arte - and it's a great restaurant.

Also, I like eating at Le Pain Quotidien, whether you sit at the communal table or not - their link for info and store locators is: :
lepainquotidien.com

sometims you want to be alone and read the paper or whatever, and sometimes it is fun to be at the communal tables and chat with others and get ideas of what to see or do.

Another place I like is the L'Express and Maison, part of the Tour de France restaurants - comfortable, good food (particularly the beignets at Maison, yum) Their web site has a store locator and lists all the restaurants in the group and they are open 24 hrs offering from breakfast to late night menus.

www.tourdefrancenyc.

I googled 'communal dining, nyc' and this was an interesting page with some suggestions:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...29/ai_53567019

Aside from museums, sometimes when traveling alone I look at the lists of gallery exhibit openings and if there are some going on I enjoy them b/c people are friendly, talking about the art, etc

But sometime the best is solo tix for a show - you can often snag a one seat for some great shows -
this site has a lot of links for info and tix prices and of course you can always go in the tix lines that day

http://home.nyc.rr.com/frugaltheatergoe/

have fun - there is also that area here for solo traveling, which mighth offer some new ideas.

michelleNYC Jan 11th, 2007 08:54 AM

I have an excellent suggestion (at least it was excellent to me ;) ). Fairly recently, I took advantage of an evening alone while my husband traveling to dine at Veritas (info below). The food was fantastic as was the wine selection (of course). You can sit at the bar or table and indulge in a REALLY great meal and ambiance.

Veritas
43 E 20th St (Cross Street: Between Broadway and Park Avenue South)
New York, NY 10003-1337
(212) 353-3700

vivi Jan 11th, 2007 09:22 AM

I always travel from CA to NYC alone the first week in December, I have to fend off potential traveling companions as I love being there by myself! Going to a play alone is no big deal, I do it almost every night of my trip! I don't usually dine in restaurants, I drop into Dean and DeLuca, Pax, or Europa for a quick bite.

nytraveler Jan 11th, 2007 10:02 AM

You'll find tons of people in NYC eating out alone - single business travelers or shoppers - or even locals who've had someone cancel on them for something or whose schedules didn;t mesh.

A couple of suggetions:

don;t feel you have to eat in downscale cafes - eat anyplace you like - unless it's a very romatic couples place you'll feel perfectly welcome

bring something to read if it will make you more comfortble

consider eating at the bar - not in bars - but many restaurants - even upscale ones - have a simpler bar menu - and it's a good way to fall into conversation with someone - or not as you choose

When you go to museums look into hooling onto a gallery talk (also good for groups or families) to make it even more intresting

Can't really think of anything that you can't do/enjoy alone

mclaurie Jan 11th, 2007 10:13 AM

Shopping, museums and shows/concerts are all often BETTER alone. I agree tickets can be easier for one. I got the best seat yesterday from the TKTS booth--for one.

I do eat alone sometimes, but that, I must say, is not better. It's eating vs. dining. (imo) I sometimes bring a book and I don't shy away from nice places, but I do often eat at the bar in a nicer restaurant.

2 days will fly by. If you need any more specific help, let us know.

lizziea06 Jan 11th, 2007 10:51 AM

The Red Cat in Chelsea (23rd and 10th) and Goblin Market in SoHo (Prince and Sullivan) are great restaurants with bars specicially for ordering dinner.

bill_boy Jan 11th, 2007 11:06 AM

The earlier posts here that The Modern was given 3 stars by NYTimes reviewer Frank Bruni are INCORRECT!

Bruni was not as impressed with the Modern as he was with the Bar Room - this is the cheaper, less glossier, more casual next-door dining/bar affiliate.

In any case, Gerald Kleuther's Alsatian-inspired dishes at the Bar Room, albeit only slightly larger than tapa size, and the decently-priced wines are terrific.

LittleSalty Jan 11th, 2007 12:20 PM

Yes, the Bar Room at the Modern is what got the 3 stars. Looks great!

Gekko Jan 11th, 2007 12:51 PM

I had a bad experience at Goblin Market recently -- unprofessional, slow service, and the kitchen was out of half the items on the menu.

I would avoid Goblin Market.

claire01 Jan 11th, 2007 08:20 PM

wow--thanks for all the great ideas and support! i was hesitant at first to go alone, but now i think it will be a lot of fun.

thanks, escargot, for directing me to the solo travel board--i never noticed that before.

everyone always comes through on this board with great ideas--keep it up--i learn so much here!

sarge56 Jan 11th, 2007 08:34 PM

Claire,

When my sister lived in NY, she worked at Rockefeller Center. I would go into town with her on the bus/train and then while she was working, I explored. It was awesome. Cannot recommend enough the Grayline. It is something like 30 or 40 bucks for the day and you can get on/off at dozens of predetermined stops. A 2-day pass is even better, budget-wise. website: http://www.coachusa.com/newyorksight...productId=1053

I loved it! Highly recommended and I didn't mind at all "being alone". I did both the Uptown Loop and the Downtown loop. Awesome!