San Jose in February with 11 year old

Old Jul 31st, 2008, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Jose in February with 11 year old

I am planning to take my 11-year old sports crazy son to see a San Jose Sharks hockey game in mid-February. We will probably have 5-7 days to spend in the San Jose area. Can you give me some ideas of activities/places to see and what the weather is like there at this time of year? Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 09:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you are just going for the Sharks game - there really isn't much reason to stay in/near San Jose for a week. Say 2 days in SJ (at most) and then spend the rest in San Francisco or in Monterey (your son would LOVE the aquarium)

Feb is the wettest month in Northern California - your weather could be anything from decent/clear to pouring rain/cold.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 09:43 AM
dmlove

In fact, we often have a week of extreme heat in February, but you never know if or when. You'll just have to check the weather forecast right before you leave home. Otherwise, I agree with janisj, fly into San Jose, spend one day and night (during the day, there are a few good museums, including a tech museum) there. With 7 days, you can do both south (Monterey) AND north (San Francisco) easily.

(BTW, I'm a Sharks season-ticket holder....I like your son's taste in sports teams!)

Old Jul 31st, 2008, 09:53 AM

My son loved the Tech museum.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 09:59 AM

Another Sharks fan here We are 10 pack holders, but aspire to be season ticket holders like dm

And I agree with the others - hey, since when did we all become so agreeable?

Spend a day ot 2 in San Jose and then head off to see other areas near by. The Tech Museum is neat, I would definitely recommend going there. If your son has any interest in Egyptian history, the Rosecrutian museum is good.

If your son likes the outdoors, there are several state parks in the area with good hiking. The Santa Cruz mountains are covered in redwoods, and winter is actually a great time to visit.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 12:20 PM
dmlove

november moon, I know you will recall that we share our season tix with a group of 6, so we actually only go to 7 or 8 games a year (plus playoffs, of course!)

Old Jul 31st, 2008, 12:24 PM

Yes - it is all coming back to me now I do remember our conversations last season about our ticket arangements.

Old Aug 4th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help, everyone. I will put the Tech Museum on our list as he likes technology almost as much as sports and I will ask him about the Egyptian one. Can you advise on a hotel with pool close to the HP Pavilion? Monterey Aquarium is an excellent suggestion, esp. because I want to see the coast while we are there. Would swimming in the ocean be possible that time of year? Also, what would you recommend for activities in San Francisco? If we want to take in all three places does it make sense to stay in SJ as home base and take day trips to SF and Monterey?
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 01:54 PM

Swimming in the ocean is almost never possible. We were just in Capitola yesterday and couldn't get more than our legs in before we had to run out screaming it was so cold. Personally I wouldn't use San Jose as a home base unless you had some compelling reason like you were staying at a friend's house. I think you'd have more fun and enjoy the area more if you stayed a couple nights in Monterey and drove up the coast and then spent a couple of nights in San Francisco. If your son likes science he will love the exploratorium. And then there is always Fisherman's wharf and chinatown.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 02:08 PM
dmlove

Lots of people (me not included) swim in the ocean here in summer. But February - not a chance!

As some of us suggested earlier, fly into San Jose, stay over one night, spend a couple of nights in Monterey, and the rest in San Francisco.

What does your son (and you) enjoy besides sports and tech? I'd think the Alcatraz tour, Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf, Exploratorium (hands-on science museum), Chinatown, driving on the huge hills, Golden Gate Park, ferry to Sausalito, tour of AT&T Park -- all would be fun depending on the weather (which can be anywhere from low-mid 50s and raining to 80s and sunny if we get one of our fairly regular hot February weeks.

Old Aug 4th, 2008, 02:08 PM

Id agree that San Jose should not be used as a base, unless you are attending a series of Sharks games.

The San Francisco Academy of Sciences should be opened back in Golden Gate Park in its new building. It's a wonderful place for young folks. the kids in our family used to love spending a day there. I've taken neighbors' kids and they've enjoyed the old Academy very much, the temporary quarters not as much.

up in san Francisco there's also the Maritime Museum. The main building may or may not be opened by the time you go, but there's always Hyde Street Pier where all the boats and ships are docked.

Those two places and the exploratorium that has been mentioned should your son happy for several days.

Down in Monterey there's the Aquarium which really is worth a visit.

It'll be cold and rainy most likely so bring rain gear and warm clothing.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 03:09 PM

GO SHARKS! Season ticket holder since the Cow Palace Days.

I would go to Monterey. There is plenty to do there after the must see aquarium. Get a hotel in the area to avoid the drive back to San Jose.

Check out www.pacificgrove.org for a good list of hotels in this area.
The aquarium is partially located in Pacific Grove. There are plenty of reasonable priced places to stay in PG.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 08:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"Would swimming in the ocean be possible that time of year?"

It is possible to swim in August - but just barely. In Feb - no way, no how.

And no, you don't want to base in SJ. As everyone has suggested. 1 night (or 2 absolute max) in San Jose then get out of town. 2 nights in Monterey and 2 or 3 in San Francisco would be great.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 08:49 AM
dmlove

Season ticket holder since the Cow Palace Days.

Sorry for the OT post - we've had tickets since the Cow Palace, too!

Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 09:29 AM

Just to be certain, you won't need a warm coat inside the Shark Tank. It's not cold in there, but FEB is the coldest, shortest, darkest month in Silicon Valley.

Strongly recommend Poor House Bistro at 91 S. Autumn Street -- a block away -- and not visible from the entrance to the HP Pavilion where the Sharks play hockey.
http://poorhousebistro.allappetite.com/

Recommended:
Bread Pudding, muffaletta sandwiches, crawfish pasta, jambalaya, and the exquisitely spicy BBQ shrimp!

How many other restaurant owners do you know with a degree in Hospitality Mgmt?

PS - to swim in the Pacific, rent a 4/3 wetsuit for $10 nearly anywhere near the water while you're in Monterey or Santa Cruz - and remember the buddy system.

AR
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 11:20 AM

You could base yourself in San Jose and take day trips to Santa Cruz, Monterey and SF.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 02:17 PM

Trinpinkpj, but why would you want to?
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 02:53 PM

There is the Winchester House in San Jose. My boys loved it. Stairways to nowhere - spooky things.
http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/

There is also Elephant Seals at the Año Nuevo State Reserve. I think you may have to buy passes in advance and get a time to visit the elephant seals as it is such a popular thing to do.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1115

Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 06:02 PM

"In fact, we often have a week of extreme heat in February, but you never know if or when."

Ohhhhhh, I love that when it comes!
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 07:29 PM

Hi Monica- I meant if they wanted to stay in San Jose, there are lots of easy day trips. Some people don't like to move in and out of hotel rooms. If she has 7 days instead of 5, it would be easier to move around.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -