Virginia & DC too cold in February?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family would like to use our Feb. 14 -24 vacation to take a road trip to historic sites in VA & DC. Will it be too chilly to walk around much outdoors? Also, does anyone know if Williamsburg will be particularly crowded at that time?
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 12:12 PM

The weather varies. It has been a cold January in DC but today is 35 and sunny and I took a walk and it was great.

I don't know where you are coming from so too cold to you may be 70 as I found out earlier today. I would go and walk outdoors, but the cold doesn't bother me unless it's windy.

You can always go inside and warm up.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Oh yes, I forgot to mention we're from Boston, so we're used to spending time outdoors in the cold doing winter sports. For this trip, however, we're hoping to be able to stroll around somewhat more leisurely without shivering. Are 40s & 50s too much to hope for?
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 12:20 PM

Maybe you will get really lucky and it will be in the teens in Boston from now to your trip and then the 30s will feel REALLY warm.

"Are 40s & 50s too much to hope for?"

50s yes, 40s no
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...6?climoMonth=2
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your info. We are hoping that by visiting in colder weather we might avoid some of the crowds. But maybe Williamsburg is just always crowded, all the time?
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 12:38 PM

There are better places to go in Virginia than Williamsburg (which is maybe worth a few hours) -- Mount Vernon, Monticello, Yorktown battlefield, Antietam, Charlottesville.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 01:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Williamsburg is not crowded at that time of year and barring rain or infrequent snow you'll have little or no trouble being outside.

It has been colder this year than in the last ten or so but 40s and 50s are pretty common in Feb. Daffodils are starting to bloom towards the end of the month. March is full blown spring.

So for Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown and the SE VA environs, 50s are definitely a possibility. Richmond probably too. Charlottesville (Monticello) and points west are harder to predict.

DC will be 5-10 degrees cooler but much of what is to see there is indoors. Coming from Boston, can't imagine it would be an issue.

Now now, BigRuss, no need to pee on one place to promote others. Lots to see.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 05:19 AM

Virginia in February may be very cold (we've had a very cold winter thus far) or very pleasant. Being from Boston, I think you'll be okay.
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 10:22 PM

I've traveled to DC and Wbg on that exact week in the past. If you are from Boston you will find them both (usually) a bit warmer than Boston is. One of the best things about visiting in February is that it's relatively uncrowded at that time .. and cheaper too.

Colonial Williamsburg will not be crowded at all, however there will not be as many programs offered in the middle of winter as there are other months.

A lot of people who go to Colonial Williamsburg go and just visit some of the buildings and talk to the tradesmen; but the REAL offering of the "living museum" is the many offerings, such as "A Conversation with Patrick Henry", or a talk about slave life in the 18th Century.

Williamsburg worth only a few hours!!! BigRuss, I visit there anywhere from 1 to 5 times a year and with the changing programs always fine a 2-3 day visit rewarding! But your other suggestions are good too.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 06:08 AM

If you're headed to Williamsburg (which we visit yearly for a week and find lots to see/do!) do try to find some time for Jamestown, where the ships first showed up, John Smith et al. They redid their visitors center wonderfully in '07 for their 400th anniversary - it's in 2 parts and both are terrific, really! The docent/reenactor portion is especially fascinating and our favorite, and then wander out to the water area (recently verified as their base) to just wander around some ruins. Yorktown is also fun - a neat area along the water, and then an inland area with some shops.
I concur on the weather - this has been a very cold year - I live in Richmond and and think that Boston residents should find it much warmer in this area.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 06:20 AM

In the DC metro area, you could get snow or false spring that time of year. We often do get one small stretch of false spring in February. Most likely, you'll get low 40s. Rain or sleet rather than snow. Some wind. And few crowds except at Caps hockey games.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 09:31 AM

Sorry - in Feb the weather can vary significantly. You may get a high of 50 (and low of 35) or you may get a high of 30 and snow. And you won;t know until a few days out which it will be. Williamsburgh is MUCH less crowded this time of year and DC quite a bit less so. But you have to be prepared for varitions in weather.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your info and suggestions! jo_ann, we definitely plan to visit Jamestown & Yorktown as part of this trip. We'll hope for the best weatherwise, but we're hardy and, at least in DC, can spend time indoors at the musseums if it's really cruddy outside.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 11:18 AM

Something to keep in mind. Unlike northern states where snow is common, Virginia isn't really very well equipped to handle much snow. When I first moved here (from the snow belt between Cleveland and Buffalo - I know what snow can be like!), I used to joke that Richmond's idea of snow removal is the sun. What might seem like a little bit of snow can shut down everthing....
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 07:41 AM

Hope you aren't coming this weekend. Washington DC is slated for 12+ inches on Friday Night/Saturday Morning with another storm heading our way Tuesday. Although the DC area handles snow better than it did during the Marion Barry years, I would not advise a DC trip for a little while.
Old Feb 5th, 2010, 09:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The fist line of the OP says they're planning a trip in the Feb 14-24 period so they're going to miss the snowathalon or whatever it's being called.

Marion Barry hasn't been mayor of DC in, what, 10 years or more? What a curious comment.
Old Feb 5th, 2010, 09:11 AM

snowathalon

I love it.