Vineyard Tour on Scenic Route to Cannon Beach, Oregon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling to Oregon this week for the first time and need help in finding the the most scenic route to the coast from Portland. On route to Cannon Beach I would like to travel through Yamhill County and enjoy lunch at a picturesque vineyard. My map shows rt 18 as well as rt 6 as routes to the coast. Suggestions and remarks on vineyard and route of travel would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 07:24 PM

The most direct drive to Cannon Beach from Portland is US 26, but it's not a particularly scenic drive. Driving 99W down through Newberg and Dundee gets you into the valley which is more much scenic in my opinion but not particularly amazing. You could visit a few vineyards near Newberg/Dundee or just one for lunch or something, then head on up to Cannon Beach - but that would be a huge detour (1-2 hours) that, in my opinion, isn't really worth it unless you have some specific place you wish to try out. If you had a night to spend there and do a wine tasting or something, maybe, but as a detour on the way to Cannon Beach I wouldn't do it.

You'd be much better off spending this time seeing the amazing Oregon Coast, which is world class scenery. South of Cannon Beach (which is itself breathtaking especially at sunset) is Oswald West State Park for example. Right at Cannon Beach is Ecola State Park. If you can get an AAA tour map for the Oregon and Washington Coasts, you can get a better idea of the scenic highlights in the region. You can drive south of Cannon Beach all the way to Tillamook if you want, stop at various places, and drive highway 6 on the way back, to get you back to 26.
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Andrew, thank you.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 09:11 AM

I only know of two wineries in Oregon that have on-site restaurants: King Estates and Cana's Feast. King Estates is two hours south of Portland, so doesn't really fit into your itinerary. Cana's Feast might, but the restaurant is generally open only on weekends. And the winery's not in a vineyard setting....

Your best bet might be to get on 99W heading southwest from Portland towards Newberg. There you could have lunch at Jory, the restaurant of Allison Inn & Spa. Beautiful place, and there are even vines planted for effect on the hillside below. Or, continue on to Dundee, and have lunch at Dundee Bistro. Either way, after lunch stop by a few of the wineries in the hills NW of Dundee before heading to the coast. Archery Summit, Domaine Drouhin, De Ponte Cellars.... all good choices.

From whatever winery, find your way to OR-47 and head north. It eventually intersects with hwys 6 and then 26.