Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Village/quaint east coast town (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/village-quaint-east-coast-town-537831/)

fiestygoat Jun 19th, 2005 08:26 AM

Village/quaint east coast town

After reading several helpful postings here, I have found myself needing the same help as others. :)

Does anyone know of a small village or town that lies on the east coast of America. I will be traveling from Virginia, and prefer to go north. I would love to find a small town that has B&B where I can do some shopping, visit a diner, and still be on the beach.
I guess this could just be a girls dream, but should you know of a place-please leave a message.

Thanks so much,
Fiestygoat

ediegirl Jun 19th, 2005 08:56 AM

how far are you planning on driving? there are nice little towns like that all through the mid-atlantic states, starting with Annapolis, MD, Cape May NJ, various places in PA, Hudson Valley NY, Newport, RI, etc, etc.

Wayne Jun 19th, 2005 01:42 PM

Cape May, NJ would be a great stop. Wonderful B&Bs, beautiful Victorian homes, and a beach. Good luck.

LN Jun 19th, 2005 03:26 PM

You could also try Chincoteague, or Rehoboth Beach Del. There are actually so many lovely shore towns along the Maryland, Virginia, and Delaware coastlines it could be hard to choose. Oh, and then there's also those beautiful little towns in New Jersey too!

For me I love a town like Rehoboth or Lewes Delaware. Small and oh so quaint.

bookhall Jun 19th, 2005 05:04 PM

Here's another vote for Lewes. It's retained much of the charm we found there thirty years ago. And I can't think of another town, in that general area, that's kept that feeling.

justme22 Jun 19th, 2005 05:43 PM

sounds like Cape May to me if you like victorian architecture,

it is a town FILLED with b & b's many quite upscale. it's got the beach as well. small downtown charming shopping area, for more power shopping i'd day trip to lewes on the ferry.

juliaelzie Jun 22nd, 2005 08:35 AM

Bar Harbor, ME is a wonderful place. It has the beautiful summer vacation homes from the "Rusticators" of the Rockefeller era, there are no fast food places or chain stores in town and it is very quaint. The mountain biking in Acadia National Park on the carriage trail is wonderful - Witch Hole Pond and Eagle Lake are gorgeous. You can get a full lobster lunch and blueberry pie for less than $20. There are also lots of very nice hotels, B & B's of all price ranges.

Best Regards,
Julia

Jacqueline1212 Jun 22nd, 2005 08:43 AM

Bar Harbor, Kennebunkport, Oqunquit - all in ME. Also Chatham & Brewster on Cape Cod.

GailLK Jun 22nd, 2005 08:45 AM

Newport RI is not really a "small" town but it does have great scenery, atmosphere and B&B's. Cape Cod is fantastic, especially off season, and there are so many little towns and villages to explore with many B&B's.

Intrepid1 Jun 22nd, 2005 09:22 AM

Irf you want a small town that isn't FILLED with B+B's a la Cape May you might want to consider Spring Lake, New Jersey.

michelleNYC Jun 22nd, 2005 09:31 AM

Newport, RI