Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Victorian Village Jackson NH - Information request (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/victorian-village-jackson-nh-information-request-206653/)

Sarah Nov 12th, 2001 04:44 AM

Victorian Village Jackson NH - Information request

Hi <BR>My husband and I (no kids) hope to stay at the Victorian Village Jackson NH in late January for 2 or 3 nights (Midweek).<BR>If anyone has stayed there we would like to hear your views. <BR>Is it worth the $189 per night (Master Suite)? I believe this includes unlimited Snowshoeing, Ice skating, Sleigh rides and although we have been told the setting is really beautiful in winter the price seems a little steep.<BR>All views appreciated<BR>Sarah

Judy Nov 12th, 2001 05:03 AM

Although I have never stayed there I have seen the property when I stayed at Nordic Village,(which is one of my favorite places to go to in NH) and is a sister property. It is quaint and beautiful -looks right out of a storybook but wasn't really my taste. I think you need to decide what you will be most taking advantage of while there. When I visited it it seemed packed with young families and for my taste a bit too overdone on the victorian theme. Where I stay at nearby Nordic Village I believe you can use the ammenities at Victorian Village. What I love so much at Nordic is the large and airy indoor pool, steam room, fantastic heated outdoor pool open in winter, and hot tub. The condos are great and at the last time I was there they had wood burning fireplaces, not electric. I don't want to discourage you because it looks lovely but just some thoughts. Nordic also has ice skating but I remember it was used really just by the kids. Jackson ski touring center is nearby and I imagine along with cross country skiing they must have snow shoeing. It is a fabulous facility.

Sarah Nov 13th, 2001 12:13 AM

Judy<BR>Thank you very much for the swift reply.<BR>I would be greatful for some more info on the Nordic Village.<BR><BR>Where exactly is it located (How far from Victorian village/Jackson Village) as one of the reasons we are looking at V Village is that it is near to Jackson village.<BR>Also would appreciate description of the accommodation. The pool, hot tub, steam room etc sound fantastic.<BR>Were there less families at Nordic village?<BR><BR>Also your info/experiences with Jackson ski touring XC ctre would be great as I plan to have some XC lessons (As I have never skied before)and try snowshoeing for the first time.<BR>Thanks in advance<BR><BR>Sarah

Judy Nov 13th, 2001 04:34 AM

Hi Sarah,<BR>Nordic Village is on the same road into Jackson as Victorian Village. You can go on www.nordicvillage.com and you will see descriptions of all their affiliated properties. I know they have an 800 number. They have various size condos, some with lofts.I would ask when booking about the which condos still have wood burning fireplaces if that interests you. They used to supply free wood - that may have changed. There are different locations available as you go up the mountain. The pool area is at the bottom of the mountain so you may want to drive to it depending on where you would be. I don't remember it being very overcrowded with children but that could have been just that way when I was there. The outdoor pool had white lights at night all lit up around it, snow flakes falling - so relaxing. Jakson ski touring is really known as one of the best ski touring centers in the country. You could look it up on www.jacksonxc.org The trails are suitable for all levels for both skiing and snow shoeing(I tried it for the first time last winter and is fun and beautiful). If you go, in Jackson there is a restaurant called the Red Fox Pub. They have the most fantastic and reasonably priced jazz brunch on Sunday mornings. The food is tremendous. It gets very busy so the earlier the better. Let me know if I can be of more help.

Sarah Nov 17th, 2001 11:40 PM

Judy<BR>Thanks for all the info.<BR>We are most likely going to change our plans and stay at the Nordic Village (Seems better value for money)<BR><BR>We are trying to decide between: <BR>Suite,<BR>Effency Suite (No description available) <BR>Luxury Suite (Patio level with 'exceptional' mountain views) Penthouse (Private Balcony with 'magnificent views')<BR>One bedroom accommodation.<BR>They all have Jacuzzi, fireplace, etc and range from $109 - $149 per night (also 3rd night half price)so it is hard to differentiate.<BR><BR>What type did you stay in (Name appreciated as I have a map of the accommodations)? <BR>Any advice/description appreciated.<BR>Also in your opinion is it better to stay closer to the pool and amenities?

Judy Nov 18th, 2001 06:32 AM

Hi Sarah,<BR> A couple of times we stayed "mid mountain" in I think a 2 bedroom,loft and the other time we were at the "top of the mountain" in a 3 bedroom - we were with our kids and my sister. It is a difficult decision between being close to the pool or being up the mountain with the georgeous views but a distance from the pool. Since it is just the 2 of you I would suggest going with the nicer view unit, it is really special and romantic to have that view!Depending on how in shape you are you can do the walk to the pool if you like walking back up, particularly from "mid mountain". This time of the year I don't think the balcony matters. Even though they told you they all have fireplaces did you check which ones are wood burning vs. gas or even ones that you can only use duraflame logs? For us, that would be a deciding factor. I would also check about the condition of the different ones available. I do think some are a lot newer than others and that may matter to you. They do get used a lot and you could tell them you want one of the newer ones. I do want to say regarding you making the change from Victorian Village - you do realize it is not going to be elegant at Nordic. It is an earthy type mountain condo, not frilly if you know what I mean. As far as choosing the different units, by what you stated as the price variation it isn't all that much and if it is within your budget than I would go for what sounds like the newest and nicest unit with the best views. If you are going to cook at all(we always do )I don't think the efficiency units have kitchens. And I think they are in the "forest" section which is dark and wooded and not very nice. Some of the units, maybe the "penthouse" have the master bedroom up in the loft, has a large skylight and is huge and very bright. I loved that setup and felt pampered.I would go for that. So let me know if you want to know anything else.<BR>Judy

Sarah Jan 13th, 2002 05:28 AM

Judy - Thank you so much for all the advice it has been very useful.<BR>We have booked the Nordic Village Penthouse - Got a good deal as the third night is half price.<BR><BR>I am taking your suggestions and am organising my first XC lesson at Jackson Ski touring. We will also try your sunday brunch recomendation.<BR><BR>A couple of quick questions: <BR>1. You mentioned that there is also Ice skating at the Nordic Village (Not just at Nestlenook farm) Do they offer Skates for hire at Nordic? (Like they do at Nestlenook/Victorian Village)<BR><BR>2. What time is the outdoor pool/Leisure facilities open till? Your description made it sound so great!

Judy Jan 13th, 2002 07:22 AM

Hi Sarah:<BR> I have been thinking about you and wondered if you had already gone on your trip. <BR> Woke up this morning to snow falling and I said to my family - ahh, wouldn't it be nice to be up at Nordic Village !!<BR> I hope you really enjoy your time there. The penthouse sounds great. I don't remember them renting skates at Nordic when I was there, that may have changed so I would give them a call and check. Also , not positive about the pool hours. I think til maybe 11:00 PM, but check with them. I think I did mention, that the skating is not all that great @ Nordic - it is small and not very well maintained, and I think mostly used by kids. I remember the fire they have in the center which is fun, but for real skating I think you will want to go to Nestlenook.<BR> The last few weeks there have been some postings about Jackson, the cross country skiing, restaurants in the area, etc. Check them out if you didn't see them . Particularly, there was real specific info about the cross country trails that I know would be helpful for you. <BR>

Sarah Jan 14th, 2002 07:00 AM

Judy<BR>Thanks for the reply. I will check those past messages you mentioned - Thanks for the tip.<BR><BR>I will let you know what we think Of Nordic village when we return.<BR>I can't wait to get there - They have had over a foot of snow this week!!!

Sarah Mar 19th, 2002 07:46 AM

Judy<BR><BR>Sorry I have been s slow to update you - Here goes<BR><BR>Stayed @ Nordic Village in Penthouse. We were at the top if the mountain (Near the large houses that can be rented) <BR>we had a fantastic view from our balcony - Great to sit there first thing in the morning with my coffee.<BR><BR>The penthouse was not huge but there was enough room, we had a real fireplace (All logs provided) and a jacuzzi bath which added to the romance.<BR><BR>The Hot-tub/Sauna/pool was fantasic (You were right it was open till quite late) - There is something very decadent about swimming outside at night with snow all around you looking up at the stars. <BR><BR><BR>With the stay at nordic village we got 1 hour snowshoe, ice skating and a sleigh ride - Unfortunatly all activities were cancelled due to a huge snow and Ice storm. (We did come back at a later date and have our Ice skating & sleigh ride)<BR>Sleigh ride was nice but we were seated next to the family from hell (Another story) and that kind of took the shine off of the experience.<BR><BR>We did go to the Red Fox Pub. for the jazz brunch on Sunday. Great value at $5.95.<BR>Also had breakfast in North Conway @ Gunthers - Great price great food!<BR>Dinner @ Stonehurst Manor (North Conway) was superb.<BR><BR>The weather limited what activities we could do (As well as the ice storm we go sleet as well as snow and we did not really fancy having our 1st ski lesson in ice and sleet showers.<BR>We did manage to take the Snow coach up Mt Washington - The views were fantastic (We did this b4 the weather turned nasty) <BR><BR>Thanks for all your help and advise - We really enjoyed our stay at Nordic Village. The setting is beautiful.