Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Very Good Restaurant close to Time Square (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/very-good-restaurant-close-to-time-square-120996/)

Margarita Apr 29th, 2001 11:03 AM

Very Good Restaurant close to Time Square

I will be taking my husband in a surprise anniversary date to NYC. We will be staying at the Waldorf Astoria. I am also going to take him to a Broadway Show(Don't know wich one yet, but the more romantic the better). I need to find a nice fancy restaurant to take him. Please help me on with suggestions on where to take him.

Howard Apr 29th, 2001 11:20 AM

First, two questions: <BR>1. What type of food? <BR>2. What's your price range?

Margarita Apr 30th, 2001 03:44 PM

Everything but Italian and I would like the check to not be more than $150 if posible.

Merle Apr 30th, 2001 04:02 PM

Since you are going to a Bway show, I highly recommend having dinner at the Marriott Marquis Hotel. The best restaurant there is called "The View" located at the top of the hotel and is the only revolving restaurant in NYC. They have a prixe fixed theatre menu that will cost about $100 for the two of you including tax and tip. It's a three course menu. On the eight floor (lobby level)there are two restaurants. One is called "The Encore" where you can order off the menu or have the full buffet, which will cost you about $70 including tax and tip. There's another restaurant there called "J&W's Steakhouse". Less than $100 for the two of you. Oh, yes, then there's Katen, a sushi restaurant. They have two lounges on the eighth floor and would recommend the Broadway Lounge. It revolves and you get a view of Broadway. You may also consider having a cocktail at the View Lounge, which also revolves located just over the View Restaurant. <BR> <BR>For utter romance and EXCELLENT food, go to Triomph, located on 44th between 5th and 6th Avenue. There are only 20 tables (or less), I forgot to count. It's French food. Go to the website of digitalcity.com and click onto New York. This way, you can get feedback on the restaurants and menus. Citysearch is another website. <BR> <BR>

Howard Apr 30th, 2001 04:51 PM

As a New Yorker, I sure wouldn't pick a Marriott restaurant as my first choice. Don't get me wrong, they're not bad, but there are so many, many others to choose from! <BR>Having said that, I recommend our favorite (and it's in your price rnge): Chez Josephine. Located on 42nd Street, just west of 9th Avenue, it's owned by two of Josephine Baker's rainbow children, one of whom--Jean-Claude--may very well be the most charming host in town! Food, ambience and service are all top quality. Reservations suggested.

m May 4th, 2001 08:05 AM

i agree with howard about marriott restaurant. check out zagats.com. you can search by neighborhood, cuisine, etc. There are so many great restaurants but let me warn you they book up well in advance. I live downtown and don't eat too much in that area but one very nice place is Cite which has an excellent prix fix wine-tasting dinner. It in the low 50s around 7th av. South of 23rd st there are tons of great restaurants.

mike May 4th, 2001 08:25 AM

We like Ipanema, a small brazilian restaurant in the Little brazil area <BR>near Radio City. Great beef & seafood.

Lara May 4th, 2001 11:13 AM

I second Chez Josephine. Make sure you have reservations!

John May 4th, 2001 11:15 AM

Third for Chez J. That's a quorum.

michellenyc May 7th, 2001 12:47 PM

doesn't sound like anyone here is from NYC... Marriott is an okay choice. if you also want a great view of Times Square, there is Foley's Fish House in the Renaissance Hotel (not many people are aware of the fabulous view... and food). other suggestions would be Remi, Esca, Vice Versa, JUdson Grill, Tapika, Thalia, Redeye Grill, Coco Pazzo Teatro... check out zagat.com for addresses and reviews.

Rachel May 7th, 2001 01:15 PM

Just got back from a weekend at the Waldorf with my husband. The hotel was fine, but overall we were disappointed. Everything was adequate (and some of the service was not adequate--giving us the wrong keys, etc.), but it truly was nothing special. I think we'll go back to the Reinassance the next time. <BR> <BR>If you've booked into the executive level, change your reservations. The "lounge" consists of free coffee and sodas and some not-very-good bits of food. It's usually crowded and loud and not worth the money.