Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Vermont - Labor Day Weekend -- where to go for short trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/vermont-labor-day-weekend-where-to-go-for-short-trip-799951/)

JG1691 Aug 8th, 2009 07:53 AM

Vermont - Labor Day Weekend -- where to go for short trip

My wife and I are dropping off a college student in Boston on 9-4 and would like to spend a couple of days during Labor Day weekend in Vermont. We like charming towns and good food. We are looking for a nice place to spend a couple of nights and see some of the charm of Vermont. We have never been there.

colbeck Aug 8th, 2009 09:39 AM

Middlebury is a charming Vermont college town, about 3 1/2 hours drive from Boston.

They are some lovely inns, good restaurants, shops and other attractions.

Check out www.midvermont.com for ideas.

purduegrad Aug 8th, 2009 10:23 AM

Woodstock is probably the quintessential Vermont village, but since it is, it is heavily touristed. But, because it does cater to tourists, there are a lot of nice restaurants, and the Woodstock Inn and Resort is a nice option.

The eastern edge of Vermont is lovely country, and there are many picturesque towns and villages in the area -- Quechee is also pretty touristy, but Norwich is a lovely "regular" town, and there are several villages, like Sharon and Strafford/South Strafford which aren't touristy at all.

As an added attraction, Hanover, NH is right across the river from Norwich, giving you an opportunity to visit Dartmouth.

dfrostnh Aug 9th, 2009 04:27 AM

Simon Pierce in Quechee has wonderful food plus the buiding, pottery and glass blowing is fascinating. They generate their own hydro-electric power. Get there as soon as the restaurant opens for lunch to get a table overlooking the river.
Middlebury is a great suggestion. I also like Brandon and Bristol area. Be prepared that the major route up the west side of VT runs thru beautiful farmland. Rt 100 on the east side of the mountains is rural but not so much open acreage.

sf7307 Aug 9th, 2009 07:02 AM

defrost, Quechee's on our list for our "loop drive" this week (thanks to you), so thanks for mentioning Simon Pearce -- it looks lovely.

PamEwing Aug 9th, 2009 08:04 AM

Stowe is nice.

JG1691 Aug 9th, 2009 11:55 AM

How is the Basin Harbor Club in Norhtern Vermont? Any suggestions for a memorable dinner between Boston and Basin Harbor Club?

colbeck Aug 11th, 2009 08:52 AM

Basin Harbor Club is great, though I have heard some not so great reports about the food lately. The setting is gorgeous, and they have rooms in the main lodge, along with separate cottages. Lots to do there.

Memorable VT restaurants between Boston and Basin Harbor:

Simon Pearce in Quechee (previously mentioned)
Cafe Provence in Brandon
Storm Cafe in Middlebury
Black Sheep Bistro in Vergennes
Starry Night Cafe in Ferrisburgh

The Shoreham Inn is excellent too. It's a casual pub style with wonderful food - very popular with the locals. Menu changes weekly.

I believe all of the above restaurants have websites.

JG1691 Aug 24th, 2009 03:50 AM

Thanka everyone for the input - looking forward to the trip!

Royal Aug 24th, 2009 03:45 PM

Middlebury or Stowe would be my choices.

We liked the Swift House Inn in Middlebury. Many great inns and hotels in Stowe. The paved recreation path in Stowe is wonderful for biking or walking. So many good restaurants too.

JG1691 Sep 9th, 2009 05:23 PM

Thanks to all for the advice! We enjoyed the Basin Harbor Club very much. We ate at both the Storm Cafe in Middlebury and the Black Sheep Bistro and bot were excellent!! I recommend them both to all.

Thanks again