Kenai Peninsula Itinerary Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2018, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering renting a home for 4 adults in Seward and/or Homer and have 6 nights, leaving Denali on June 12 and driving back for our last night in Anchorage on June 18 before flying to Juneau on June 19. Is it realistic to drive from Denali to Seward in one day or should we stop in Anchorage for a night or two, and then go to a rental? We are not "city" people and unless there is a "must see/must do" in Anchorage, we could pass. Any other places we should visit while on KP? Whittier? Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Old Jan 27th, 2018, 11:03 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
See my response to this question on your other thread, Car rentals advice in Alaska in June
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I realize that my response is almost at the same time when you start your trip, but in any case this may be useful. I was in the Kenai peninsula (Close to Soldotna) for 5 days staying at a lodge with my husband and while he fished with my son, I drove around sightseeing with my daughter.

I think that 3 nights in Homer is a long time. Most people only go there for Halibut fishing for the day. But it is quite a long drive from Seward. So maybe splitting your time between them would be better.

Some of the things we enjoyed:
- Begich Boggs Visitor center (On the way to Seward), there is a short trail (maybe a 1 mile loop) that goes next to a creek and you can see the salmon spawning. This was FANTASTIC.
- Walking around Seaward and the aquarium.
- Kayaking in Seward
- Eating some very good Halibut and chips in Seward.
- Visited the Kenai National Wildlife refuge visitor center and took a short walk around the visitor center
- Shopping for Souvenirs at the farmers market in Soldotna and the Kenai. We got some homemade wood ornaments and handmade jewelry.
- The visitor center in Kenai town was very informative and had souvenirs at good prices. Also the Safeway in Kenai had tourist type merchandise (Alaska themed socks, cups, etc) at cheaper prices.
- The bakery in Soldotna (I think there is only 1)
- Walking around the Soldotna Creek Park. You can fish from here as well, it gives a great view of the Kenai river.
- In Kenai town we walked along the beach (Be mindful of the tides) and visited the Virgin Mary Russian Orthodox church where a friendly volunteer gave us information about the church.
- Drove to the captain Cook State recreation area and had a picnic overlooking the beach, then drove to the end of the road and took photos along the way. We saw a few Moose crossing the road around this area.
- Visited a few more Russian Orthodox churches on the way to Homer (There are a lot of churches).
- Visited Homer for the day, and walked along the "Homer Spit" and the Seafarer's memorial
- Stopped at a very famous bar "Salty Dawg Saloon" where everyone goes after a day of fishing. This is a must in Homer.
- During this time, my husband and son fished the Kenai, Kasilof and the Ocean.
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 01:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We spent one night in Seward which was enough for us and rhen three nights in Homer bedore foing to Aleyeska in Girdwood. In Homer we took a trip over to Halibut Cove and another day flew on a sea plane to Katmai NP to watxh the bears, a real thrill.
We also were north of Anchorage in Talkeetna. Then we flew from Anchorage to Juneau to board our small ship. Alaska has the most incredible scenery.