Search

New Orleans Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 03:13 PM
glenn

New Orleans Hotel

My wife and I are going to NO for the first time Dec. 26. Any suggestions on great places & things to do. Also, what about the Astor Crowne Plaza Hotel? Any info appreciated.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 05:46 PM
annie

Glenn,

Some of the typical things you may have heard of before, but they are still worth mentioning, because you would still want to try them.

Of course you will want to wander through the French Quarter. Everyone eventually winds up at Cafe Du Monde for the beignets and my favorite, the hot chocolate. You will find yourself going back every day!

The Garden District is beautiful to walk around, or maybe do a posting here, for a local guide you can give you some history of it. It's all very old-time Southern and quite charming.

There's a good WWII museum that opened about two years ago, which was interesting to see. Also, if you have the time, the Audabon Society runs the New Orleans Zoo (right past the Garden District and not far from Tulane University). It is really one of the prettiest zoos I've seen, with fountains, and koala bears!

For restaurants, one of the best we've tried is Galatories. I was hesitant at first, because it's on Bourbon Street, but the food was remarkable, and the service superb. When you're inside, you wouldn't know that Bourbon street is right outdoors.

We also really enjoyed the live jazz band that strolls around for brunch on Sunday, at Commader's Palace.

Speaking of jazz, Preservation Hall is one of the best places to see live jazz bands.

Oh--and this might seem corny, but we really liked it--take one of the "ghost of New Orleans" walking tours at night. They take you around to all the spots/old homes/etc. where ghosts are said to still appear. It's interesting to hear the history behind the buildings.

Outisde of New Orleans, there are also plantation tours and swamp tours that you can take. I don't know how much time you have, but that's something to think about as well.

Have a great time, you will really enjoy it!
P.S. Unfortunately, have not heard of the Crowne Plaza hotel. When we were there, we stayed at the downtown Marriott, and it was very centrally located and convenient.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:01 PM
JohnR

I agree with everything the previous poster (Annie) said except her comments about the NO ghost tour, which we thought was cheesy and silly. We loved Galatoire's and Commander's Palace and Cafe Du Monde. Preservation Hall is a must. But that ghost tour reminds me of psychic hot lines: it's totally fake.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Enigma17

Annie had some great suggestions. I love New Orleans in December. Cafe Du Monde is perfect for those cooler months.

Since it is your first visit, I'd like to add Pat O'Brien's as a "must". The fire/water fountain in the patio bar is a very romantic place to have cocktails.

The only thing I don't recommend is a Ghost Tour. Your money is better spent on a book. A book will give you much more information if this subject interests you. You can then go see those sights on your own....completely free of charge. My impression of ghost tours is more like a small group of people who got stuck in an Anne Rice movie. If dramatics is what you like, your money is better spent on a movie. It is kind of like a sad Halloween party that happens 365 days a year.

All reviews I've seen on the Astor Crowne Plaza have been positive. Soundes like you're all set. Enjoy you first visit.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Amy

I stayed at the Hotel Monteleone. I would highly recommend it.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Bob

Me and my fianse went on that new orleans ghost tour and it was stupid. some dude names charles i think who thought he was a vampire. get a life. i wanted to leave midway but jessica made me do the whole thing since we paid.

bob