Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Venice, CA area (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/venice-ca-area-1476541/)

4sharie Sep 25th, 2017 12:48 PM

Venice, CA area

We're going to be staying in Venice, California for 10 days helping my sister recover from surgery. Looking for day trips we can do that are max an hour and a half away. She's not from the area, but needs to stay close to the hospital.

Any desert that close? ( when I do a google search it keeps showing me DESSERTS near Venice! haha!)

Also what is the breeze/fog like on the Pacific this time of year at Venice/Santa Monica area?

This is a last minute trip, so haven't had much time to think or plan. We're leaving in 2 days! But it will be leisurely and spontaneous once we're there and settled in.

janisj Sep 25th, 2017 04:33 PM

>>when I do a google search it keeps showing me DESSERTS near Venice! haha!<<

Probably because there are no deserts near Venice, so it assumes you mean desserts :)

>>Also what is the breeze/fog like on the Pacific this time of year at Venice/Santa Monica area?<<

This is an absolutely wonderful time of year on the Pacific coast. You can travel up and down the coast - south like Laguna Beach, Newport, San Juan Capistrano (including the mission) , or north to Santa Monica, Malibu. The Getty museum and Getty Villa. Northern San Diego County. Pasadena, just tons of things . . .

Desert areas are farther -- Palm Springs is about 2.5 hours, Joshua Tree a little farther/longer.

4sharie Sep 25th, 2017 07:15 PM

Thanks so much! Talked to my sister tonight and she thinks she can make the drive to Joshua Tree, so maybe we'll get to head there after all. And yes, sure hope to do lots of coast driving!

MoBro Sep 26th, 2017 09:08 AM

Weather should be nice. I was in Venice two weeks ago.

I agree with janisj, "This is an absolutely wonderful time of year on the Pacific coast. You can travel up and down the coast - south like Laguna Beach, Newport, San Juan Capistrano (including the mission) , or north to Santa Monica, Malibu. The Getty museum and Getty Villa. Northern San Diego County. Pasadena, just tons of things . . ."

You can walk or bike ride from Venice Beach, going north or south.
Also, walk around the canals of Venice.

We have eaten at Sunny Spot in Marina del Rey a couple of times. Fun, casual place. Good food & service.
SunnySpotVenice.com

Also, C&O Trattoria is decent Italian food. There are two of them on Washington Blvd. The one closest to the beach has a nice open-air patio. Very affordable.

jamie99 Sep 26th, 2017 09:19 AM

Weather close to the coast is in low 80s this week. I live 1.5 miles from the ocean.

4sharie Sep 26th, 2017 02:50 PM

Biking! Canals! Awesome. For food spots we're hoping to find celiac safe gluten free places for my daughter! Should be easier there than here! :)

Is there much of a breeze? A lot of the Pacific coast we've explored in the past has been windy! Big Sur to Oregon. Curious because of jackets and long hair. haha!

MoBro Sep 27th, 2017 01:47 AM

I don't recall Venice ever being windy. But bring layers in case it's cool at night.

Gluten-free meals are common.

You must be there now?

4sharie Sep 27th, 2017 05:15 AM

Layers. Gotcha.

Flight from Cincinnati leaves in 4 hours, and it's a 5 hour flight, so no, not quite there yet.

MoBro Sep 27th, 2017 06:24 AM

Safe travels