Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Vegas with a 7 year old?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/vegas-with-a-7-year-old-504710/)

Lorrieishere Feb 17th, 2005 09:21 AM

Vegas with a 7 year old??

Is there enough to entertain a seven year old in Vegas for seven days? Which hotel/resort is fun, safe, and in the center of everything?? Do we need to rent a car?

sfamylou Feb 17th, 2005 09:35 AM

I'm not sure about seven days. Anything is possible I guess. We went for a weekend with my son when he was nearly five. We stayed at the MGM, which had the lions and Krispy Kreme and Rainforest Cafe. He liked it a lot. Didn't try to go out of the city to the desert, or swimming, so I don't have good ideas for you there.

janis Feb 17th, 2005 09:39 AM

I can't imagine what an adult would find to do w/ seven days in LV, let alone a small child. Unless you are big time into gambling or want to spend major money seeing all of the big shows, any reason you want to stay there a full week?

LV is great for maybe 3 or 4 days max - but a week?

f64club Feb 17th, 2005 09:40 AM

Why would you want to do this?

michelleNYC Feb 17th, 2005 09:42 AM

I don't mean to be cranky about this but... this issue has been asked and answered thousands of time. Please just do a search and you'll get more info. than you need.

FainaAgain Feb 17th, 2005 09:43 AM

Rent a car for a couple of days to go to the Red Rock Canyon, Ethel M chocolate factory and cactus garden, Hoover Dam, Lake Mead. 7 days IN Vegas is too much for any age.

Depending on the weather - if not too hot - you can go to the Valley of Fire.

placeu2 Feb 17th, 2005 10:40 AM

There is enough to entertain anyone in Vegas but a 7 year old is challenging here. IMHO this is not a kid friendly town. If you must, it can be done.

mcmckissic Feb 17th, 2005 10:42 AM

I think that there are so many more cool places to take a seven year old than Vegas....I would not.

utahtea Feb 17th, 2005 11:12 AM

I've read some of you other posts and get the impression you like the outdoors. Why not fly into Vegas but then make a circle tour of the S. Rim of the Grand Canyon (N. Rim will still be closed for winter), Bryce and Zion National Parks. You would need to rent a car for this.

Utahtea

utahtea Feb 17th, 2005 11:14 AM

BTW, there is no way I would want to spend 7 days in Las Vegas on my own, much less with a 7 year old. Not with men taking a leak on the street right next to you! Other men handing out fliers to strip joints, etc.

Utahtea

Lorrieishere Feb 17th, 2005 11:28 AM

I am getting the picture that Vegas is not exactly wholesome, it was just something I have always wanted to do. Probably better to save it for a girls weekend. I am just at a loss because most of the places I would normally want to go are either going to be too cold to too busy because of the timing. The canyons sound like a great idea and someone else mentioned San Diego. Does anyone know of a cool place, off the beaten path, outdoors (hiking, car tours), NO GOLF COURSES, but really nice? I am not asking too much right?

placeu2 Feb 17th, 2005 01:09 PM

You are probably not asking too much but you are not giving us much to work with.

What are you looking for? Is it all about the 7 year old or the parent (s)? Going from a Vegas question to saying that you want off the beaten path is well.....confusing.

jlm_mi Feb 17th, 2005 01:18 PM

And no golf courses? I don't understand! You don't have to use them just because they exist, but it's difficult to find places with NO golf courses. Las Vegas has plenty of them!