Vegas to Yosemite, Mammoth Lakes or not?

Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 12:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vegas to Yosemite, Mammoth Lakes or not?

Hi all, helping a friend plan her first trip to the States.

Her traveling companion has suggest a night or two in Mammoth Lake on the way from Vegas to Yosemite. We've done the drive in reverse, Yosemite to Vegas but haven't stopped off. Is it really worth a night or two,it will be in October? Its not about the length of the drive its more about is it worth losing a night somewhere else to see the Lake. And if so, can you suggest a lovely spot to stay 4* or better?

Thanks as always.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 04:43 AM

Travel is always a question of trade-offs. The Mammoth Lakes area is very pretty - certainly worth taking the tour of the lakes drive - and I/we love staying at the Heidelberg Inn - by June Lake. More of an older/condo type place, but with a lot of Hollywood history - and there are good restaurants within walking distance - or easy driving distance.

see: http://junelakeloop.org/heidelberg_inn
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 06:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Depending on how late in October there could be snow in the Tioga Pass which would complicate your route from LV to Yosemite.
I know of no 4* lodging in Mammoth Lakes.
If you don't want to drive through Death Valley, consider flying from LV to Fresno (FAT) and driving into Yosemite via the south entrance seeing Mariposa Grove first.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 08:07 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Not a lot of '4 star or better' places in the eastern Sierra - It is rural, mountainous, gorgeous -- and more rustic motel country than 4-5 star posh. Mammoth Lakes does have a few posh/posh-ish places, but I personally wouldn't stay there.

A one night stop enroute makes sense - longer depends on whether they are hiking or not. But I'd stay in one of the neat little mountain towns instead- not Mammoth. But they'd have to 'rough it' a bit more.

Last year would not have been a problem at all -- but there is no way of knowing what the snow situation will be this Fall. If we get early snow --they won't be able to do it.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks I shall pass all info on. It will be early Oct, I would hate them to miss out. We did once, ended up going to SanFran via Reno & missing out on Yosemite all together!!
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 12:43 PM

By the time you get to Vegas you should have a pretty good idea if the Tioga Pass is open - and if not - you can just drive the southern route through California (Bakersfield?) and then up via Fresno and into Yo. October would be a nice time to visit Yo - and while the waterfalls may not be fully gushing - it would probably be much less crowded.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 12:47 PM

Check this page for the various driving routes. I think the estimate going via Bakersfield is around 10 hours. Suggest you start as early as you can - Oh Dark Thirty- and then get to Yo in time to enjoy dinner.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/driving.htm
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 02:42 PM

Well there is more than one lake in Mammoth. Mary, George, Twin, Horseshoe - all together. There is an abundance of fabulous scenery. The Monache (mo natch e)is a Westin property and I believe it should qualify for a 4 star. It's quite nice.

http://www.westinmammoth.com/