Vegas to San Diego road trip report

Sep 12th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Vegas to San Diego road trip report

Wanted to report on summer trip from Las Vegas to San Diego. We had already spent a week in LV and rented a car to drive to SD for husband's conference at USD. We departed from LV on 15 and took the usual route to Barstow, where we got off the freeway and drove up the mountain to Big Bear. We enjoyed being on a more scenic route...only so much desert you can see before getting bored. Made it down the mountain and joined the freeway again in the Riverside area and got off again on hwy 74. Drove up and down another mountain which provided breathtaking views of the valley below--very Jan and Dean--and barely made it down to San Juan Capistrano before sunset. Had hoped to enjoy sunset on the Pacific as we travelled down 5 into San Diego, but an overcast day made that less spectacular. I am sure it took much longer to drive this particular route, but in the end the pleasure was in the discoveries along the journey!
Sep 13th, 2006, 12:21 AM

bethmac - Please share details about where you stayed etc.

Did you enjoy San Diego?

Sandy
Sep 13th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

omigosh..we loved San Diego! I was there for a family wedding seven years ago and only scratched the surface due to the obligations of a wedding related vacation. This time was so great because we were there for almost a week. My hubby attended a course at USD and is busy brainstorming a way to move there! We stayed at Holiday Inn Express right off 5 near Pacific beach (convenient location but nothing special). Bought one of the GoSanDiego cards and took 4-yr-old to Legoland, Zoo, harbor cruise, LaJolla Shores, Aquarium, and couple of Balboa park museums. Husband ate seafood at a place on the water (can't remember name, but seems like it was basic like The Seafood Market or something) I ate at a Mexican restaurant in old town one night that was very good..funny, too, because it was deserted, everyone was down the hill at a couple other places with long lines. I walked right in and had some of the best salsa I have ever eaten, which is something since I lived in TX for 5 yrs. We drove up to Encinitas one afternoon and stayed on the beach till sunset. Had a scare when a man told us to stay away from the cliffs lest a boulder fall on our child! My son loved collecting the rocks and I got some truly priceless photos at sunset. A two-hour jaunt to Coronado island was also relaxing for me, fun to walk on the beach behind Hotel del Coronado and brouse shops. Anyway, hate to ramble on and on, but you asked!

Search this Thread