Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Vegas, South Rim, Sedona - How to plan the Drive??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/vegas-south-rim-sedona-how-to-plan-the-drive-230981/)

Barb Jun 14th, 2002 06:23 AM

Vegas, South Rim, Sedona - How to plan the Drive???

My husband and I will be in Vegas for three nights and then plan to stay in Sedona for 2 nights (then headed to Scottsdale for 4 nights). I would like to see the Grand Canyon as well, and would like your opinions on the following options:<BR><BR>1. Leave Vegas early morning and drive to Sedona. Hang out in Sedona for rest of day and then take day trip to GC the next day.<BR><BR>2. Leave Vegas early morning and drive to South Rim GC...then continue on to Sedona.<BR><BR>I'm not sure how much time we will need at the GC. Any opinions??

Joana Jun 14th, 2002 08:19 AM

Make sure you drive through Oak Creek canyon (between Flagstaff and Sedona), it's about 45 minutes and very beautiful. If you are at all interested in Indian Jewelry, stop at Gardner's on the way. They have the best selection, quality and reasonably priced. A good restaurant in Sedona is called Pizza Picazzo. The atmosphere is lively, the pizza upscale and the salads are unique. It is reasonably priced for the area.

JoeCal Jun 14th, 2002 09:07 AM

From Las Vegas I'd go straight to the Grand Canyon (otherwise you'll be bactracking and then backtracking again to get to Scottsdale). I'd recommed spending one night at the Canyon and have a nice dinner at the lodge. If not overnight, allow the full afternoon for the park. Sedona is about 2 hrs away (maybe less depending on how you drive).

x Jun 14th, 2002 10:14 AM

I`d dive to the Canyon via Williams and stay the night(5 hour drive).sunset and sunrise on the Canyon(love the Steakhouse) are a must..then drive to Sedona(2 hours) via Flagstaff..don`t take the interstate(take route 89)..spend the night in Sedona(Ithink 1 night is enough).next am check out Montazumas castle,etc in the area and then head for Scottsdale....

rqf Jun 14th, 2002 10:23 AM

I would make Gr. Canyon the first stop. It is about 275 miles and can be done in 5 to 6 hours. If you leave LV early you would arrive at the CAnyon witt plenty of day light lesft. Over night at the Canyon or in Tusayan. Leave GR. Canyon by noon and you will be in Sedona around 3pm. To get to Sedona take 64 to Williams where you pick up I40 to get to 89A which takes you into Sedona

kkj Jun 14th, 2002 10:27 AM

As of yesterday, Oak Creek Canyon is closed to all but those with hotel reservations, employment or homes in the area. The road 89A is the main scenic route through Oak Creek Canyon extending from Flagstaff to Sedona. Arizona is in a severe drought (worst in state history) and the wildfire danger is very real. Because of the closures expect the roads leading over to Sedona to be very crowded -- particularly in the event of an emergency.<BR><BR>I'm not trying to discourage you from coming, but please be aware that the entire northern portion of Arizona could have last minute closures before and during your trip. With no water, the area is a tinder box. <BR><BR>Sedona is still fine to travel to, although some of the areas around there may be inaccessible.<BR><BR>So be careful, pay attention to the news and have a good trip.<BR><BR>