Vegas' Siegfried & Roy: Good show for family?

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 07:56 AM
Trish

Vegas' Siegfried & Roy: Good show for family?

Just wondered if there are any opinions out there re: Siegfried & Roy. My family - sons, ages 13 and 15, are headed out west next summer and would like to see a Vegas show.
Thoughts?

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 09:59 AM
thereuare

Might not be the worst show that i've ever seen, but DEFINATELY the worst value for a show i've ever seen! Others may (and do) disagree with this opinion, but Siegfried and Roy is "just another magic show", but with smoke and animals thrown in.

A great show for your sons would be Blue Man Group (Luxor) OR Mystere (Treasure Island). A third alternative would be "O" (Bellagio), but i would sooner recommend the first two. They are 2 of the best shows i've ever seen, and perfect for your sons, as well as yourself!

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 11:40 AM
Trish

Hey thereuare,
What is this "Blue Man Group"?
Can you give me any details re: this show? Thanks!!

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 12:34 PM
Judi

I just saw the S&R show last week with my husband and kids 17 and 14 yrs. We also saw "O" (at Bellagio), the Blue Man Group (at Luxor) and the Caesar's Palace Magical Empire show. We had previously seen Mystere.

S&R (at the Mirage) was the least entertaining (needs more tigers, less Roy). We liked the Blue Man Group (comedy, drumming and music, audience participation, very funny and unique) and the other two as well. The Caesar's show was good for close-up magic and the dinner was surprising good. "O" or Mystere are both incredible shows and although expensive, definitely recommended for Vegas because they have their own showrooms (better than seeing the traveling Cirque de Soleil in a tent in your city).

You can go to the hotel web sites and see ticket prices and details.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 01:01 PM
xxx

Did not like Siegfried & Roy at all. One of the worst shows! Loved O and Mystere.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 02:27 PM
thereuare

If you've tried to find info about Blue Man Group but have so far been unsucessful, it's likely because it's not easily describable. To put it too simply (and not really do it any justice), i would say that they do silly/crazy things that just make you laugh. It's definately a "feel good" type of experience, that involves some audience pariticipation... it's also VERY unique and original, and inolves some live music. You may be able to learn more from their website:

http://www.blueman.com/ticketinfo/lasvegas.shtml

And here's a critic's review:

http://www.igoshows.com/reviews/review06.html

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 03:30 PM
Toni

I saw the Blue Man Group at the Charles Playhouse in Boston and thought it was fabulous! My husband loved it too! Like nothing we had ever seen...
Can't speak for the Vegas show but from what I undestand it is in a very large theatre which IMHO might not be as fun...I would definitely recommend the show though.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 04:51 PM
Trish

Once again, thanks for all the info!
thereuare: I checked out both of those websites. BMGroup looks like it would be definitely different from anything we've ever done before!
For the 4 of us, price would be $330.00. Worth it?
We'll be in Vegas 2 nights, first night I hope to walk, see the Pirate ship in front of Treasure Island, etc. With so much free entertainment, should we go for the show???

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 05:46 PM
thereuare

I've seen the show in NYC (if you ever come this way, i think it's ~$50/tix). Yes, there is a lot of free entertainment in Vegas, but nothing like the shows that we are discussing here... 2 ENTIRELY different caliburs (thus the expensive tix). I don't know your budget, but if it's within your means, either Blue Man Group OR Mystere will turn your "just Vegas vacation" into a "memorable experience."

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 07:18 PM
Frank

Trish: Don't miss the Fountains at the Bellagio. It's free and something to see. Also go to the top of the Effiel Tower (not expensive) at night. Blue Man Group began as a cheap off-Broadway show here in New York and is frequently on the twofers line. The price you quoted seems overpriced for the show. If you are going to go for the big bucks, O or Mystere seem like the better choices. I tend to agree that for only 2 nights, there is plenty to keep you busy for a little bit of money.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Linda

If your kids really want a magic show, you might check out Lance Burton. It would be considerably less expensive (like about $200 for four), and is a fantastic show. It's in a smaller theater, so you get more audience/performer interaction. AND it comes with all the bells and whistles (except there are no tigers, just a dog).