Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Vegas Show tickets (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/vegas-show-tickets-586295/)

bethsmall1 Jan 29th, 2006 02:23 PM

Vegas Show tickets

My husband and I are going to Vegas in June. We have booked the Bellagio for 5 nights. I wanted to know, what the best shows are. I want to book early, I know they fill up. We love comedy and music. Although we are not big Celine Dion fans.Thanks so much

Lori Jan 29th, 2006 02:35 PM

"Best" has many meanings. What I might think of as "best" may do nothing for you. I'd suggest doing a websearch on the shows you are interested in and reading some reviews.

If you have not seen Mamma Mia and enjoy Abba music I'd recommend it, it's funny and the music is good (again, my opinion). If you are into Cirque de Soliel shows (I am not at all) then check out Mystere, KA, O .. seems like every other hotel as a Cirque show these days. La Reve is at Wynn's and it's a "Cirque" type show as well.

Check out the Hilton for Barry Manilow,if he is not appearing Reba McIntire will be there most of the summer. MGM usually has headliners such as Tom Jones, David Copperfield, etc. throughout the year. Hairspray opens in Feb. at the Luxor.

There are the usual revues at a number of the hotels as well.

bethsmall1 Jan 29th, 2006 03:31 PM

thanks Lori, we saw mama mia, and loved it. Do you know anything about Elton John's Show?

Lori Jan 29th, 2006 05:02 PM

I am not a great fan of Elton, thus would not pay the very high ticket prices to see him. I have friends who saw him in October and they said he puts on a "good show". Like any other performer I think some nights are simply better then others.

I forgot to mention Blue Man Group is at the Venetian now too. If you enjoy magic Lance Burton (at Monte Carlo) is very good (not Siegfried & Roy, but good). Penn and Teller (at the Rio) are enjoyable as well.

I've seen Havana Night Club (at the Stardust) 2 times and it is a very high energy show with lots of music and dancing. While most of it is in Spanish you do not need to know Spanish to enjoy it at all.

We go to Vegas quite often (live fairly close) but I still have entertainers/shows I just would not spend the money to see.

jlm_mi Jan 29th, 2006 05:33 PM

www.vegas.com will help you with show options, descriptions and user ratings

bethsmall1 Jan 30th, 2006 04:23 AM

Thanks for the feedback Lori. Elton John tickets are very pricey. Thanks for the website jlm I will check it out.

towens322 Feb 2nd, 2006 02:09 PM

Elton--I would have given my arm to see him in Vegas, but unfortunately he is only there when Celine isn't. Celine's show is AWESOME! of course champagne is $12 per glass but the show is worth every penny.

If you have never seen Danny Gans--that is a must. We had never heard of him, but were encouraged to go and glad we did.

Le Reve at the Wynn is awesome!

Also, Carrot Top was funny and cheap :-)

Good luck!

bethsmall1 Feb 2nd, 2006 03:09 PM

Thanks Towens, who is Danny Gans? Music or comedy? I have never heard of him.
Thanks for your help!

tracys2cents Feb 2nd, 2006 03:15 PM

GEORGE WALLACE at the Flamingo! Hilarious!

Scinta Family at the Rio is a fun show.

Diana805 Feb 2nd, 2006 08:54 PM

I've seen a lot of the shows mentioned and Havana Nights IS terriffic especially if you like dancing. My husband and I also very much enjoyed JUBILEE at Bally's. We've seen it twice (taken a relative) and it's a big "las Vegasy" type show with showgirls in fabulous costumes (what there are of them), a Samson and Delilah playlet,
a Titanic playlet, and a tribute to Fred Astaire etc. It also has theatre seating with seats assigned in advance so it is very comfortable. I highly recommend it.

dfrostnh Feb 3rd, 2006 04:01 AM

I just got back from Las Vegas. I ran into people who were raving about the Celine show and said it was worth the price. We saw Le Reve. My first time seeing a Cirque kind of show. It was amazing. The staging was incredible, almost hard to believe. The performers are fantastic at swimming, diving, acrobatics, etc. The theme is about dreams with a little comedy thrown in. It's hard to believe some of those stunts are possible. My friend said Ka has more of a story to it but she has liked all these Cirque type shows. I can't wait to see another one.

Keith Feb 3rd, 2006 05:15 AM

> My friend said Ka has more of a story to it

I think Cirque type shows are better, the farther they stay from story lines.

Keith

HotWheels Feb 3rd, 2006 03:47 PM

We had a great time with Blue Man Group!
It has off-the-wall humor (not offensive),music made with odd items such as PVC plumbing pipe, audience particpation - loads of fun!! We've also been to Mystere & O, which are artsy, acrobatic shows. They were also enjoyable, but we had more fun at BMG.
Friends went to the comedy club located in the Tropicana - said it was a hoot!

bethsmall1 Feb 4th, 2006 03:32 AM

Wow, thanks everyone, so many choices!!!

towens322 Feb 5th, 2006 06:10 AM

comedy--he is one of the most popular shows out there. He is pretty clean too.

kwilly Feb 5th, 2006 07:25 AM

I have heard that Danny Gans is a must see as well. We stayed at the Mirage in late September and did not see him but heard people talking aobut his show very favorably.
We did see "O" and OooooooH how amazing. I had never seen a show of that type.
Also BMG is a must. I think they are now at the Venitian...
Enjoy your time.

bethsmall1 Feb 6th, 2006 03:05 AM

Thank you all so much. You have really helped me out!

manduss Mar 22nd, 2006 06:02 AM

Hi.

I'm not a BIG Elton John fan, but I do enjoy his music. When I noticed that he was performing the Red Piano when we were going to be in Vegas I immediately got tickets. It was worth it. He puts on a great show that you are not going to see in any other space. The show is more than a concert and it takes advantage of the technical capabilities of the Coliseum.

I've enjoyed all of the resident Cirque shows in Vegas. Zumanity and Ka are high on my list, but these shows have less of a universal appeal than 'O' or Mystere. I posted a review of Ka quite a while ago. It will give you more info.

I saw Follies Bergere at the Tropicana and hated it. Personally, it was painful to watch and hear, but the people around us (mostly 50-60 years old) seemed to enjoy it. It has made me a little cautious about my expectations for Jubilee. I'm planning on seeing Jubilee in October though.

Hairspray at the Luxor should be fun.

I've never understood the draw of Danny Gans. I haven't seen the show, so I can't make a critique, but from the advertising and reviews, I just don't understand why someone would pay $100 to see an impressionist.

You haven't really said what types of shows / entertainment you like.
What type of touring show or concert would you see if it came to your town?

Take Care,
Mark