Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Vegas question - Driving from McCarran Airport to the Strip

May 5th, 2002, 04:21 AM
Mark

Hi,

I will be picking up a hire car at McCarran and then driving to Ballys for a couple of nights before starting my South West road trip.

Having never actually driven in the States before, I am a little apprehensive about that first journey from the airport to Ballys.

How long will this take me?
Will it be signposted?
Will it be easy to get lost?
Any hints, tips or directions to help me?

Go easy on me folks

Thanks in anticipation,

Mark,
Manchester,
England.

May 5th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Barbara

Mark in the good old US of A we call them rental cars. McCarran Airport is practically on the strip, it won't take you long to get to Ballys. My tip would be to save the 2 days rental charges, take a cab to the hotel and wait until you're ready to leave on your trip before renting a car.

May 5th, 2002, 06:26 AM
x

let them(Rental copmany) give you directions.....they should give you a map of town..they usually shuttle you to the rental cars...don`t know of any right in the airport..so directions from the airport to Bally`s might not help..which rental agency is it...ck their website and see there locations and you can ask for directions from there...or post back...

May 5th, 2002, 06:47 AM
none

There are signs that clearly indicate which direction in the aiport area to LV Blvd, aka the Strip. You want to head out in that direction, although it may have a lot of traffic depending on your arrival hour. Don't worry about looking like an idiot on the road trying to find your way -- half the people on the road in LV do that anyways. Take your time and relax!

May 5th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Tony Hughes

Apprehensive as I'm sure you will be, it's hard to actually miss the Strip. Signs are everywhere and, as a previous poster has said, you're not alone. you wont have a chance to drive fast really, so that gives you plenty of time to look for where you re going.

I've done a couple of similar trips and I'm from the UK too. Email me if you need any help, mate.

May 5th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Jim Rosenberg

I want to second Barbara's suggestion because it is right on target. Don't get a rental car for time you will be spending in Las Vegas, but just pick it up when you are ready to hit the road for your Southwest trip. You will save yourself significant money and hassle!

May 5th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Brian

Mark:
Good advice above.
Take a cab to Bally's.
Bally's location is central and you can walk to most everything worth seeing. Don't know if you'll visit the downtown area, but if you do, simply take a cab there and back. Like London, cabs are everywhere in LV and easy to hail.
Pick up your hire car when you leave town.
Cheaper, less hassle.
Have a great time!!

May 5th, 2002, 04:12 PM
pat

They even have a shuttle bus from the airport to all the hotels. Forget the car until you are ready to leave town.

May 5th, 2002, 07:44 PM
Phyllis

been to LV several times..totally agree to take a cab to Ballys..and arrange a rental car from the hotel...most hotels have rental agencies set-up in lobby or nearby hotels..or you can arrange before hand and go back to airport to get the car or have the car delivered to you at the airport.

May 5th, 2002, 08:07 PM
pianomaster

May I recommend while you're in Vegas to catch the show Blue Man Group performing at the Luxor? They're fantastic!

May 6th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Ron McCullough

Pick up the rental car (get directions from them) or follow one of the shuttles from Ballys right to the strip

May 6th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Al

Hate to disagree, but I visit Vegas frequently, and I always rent a car upon arrival. It is cheaper than cab fair in the long run, and free valet parking at hotels makes it that much more convenient. As for walking to all attractions - I don't find that true. Again, I would rent the car up front.

May 6th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Rental Bob

Are you aware of the fact that valet parking your rental car is a violation of your rental agreement Al?
And that any damage which occurs as a result will not be covered by your policy?

May 6th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Ann

If Bally's has a shuttle from the airport (and many of the hotels do) - take the shuttle. Then when you are ready, rent a car.