Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Vegas: "O" Dinner & Show Package: FIX Restaurant? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/vegas-o-dinner-and-show-package-fix-restaurant-543382/)

rjw_lgb_ca Jul 11th, 2005 01:57 PM

Vegas: "O" Dinner & Show Package: FIX Restaurant?

So I'm going to be spending a weekend in August in Vegas! I know it will be blisteringly hot and can deal (I love the desert!). Besides, we're getting a Tower Deluxe room at the Mirage (it's a birthday celebration, so we're spending the bucks!!), so we'll have a great pool and a nice room when we're not spending our retirement money.

To get reasonably good tickets for "O", I bought a Dinner and Show package: prix-fixe three-course meal and tickets on the floor (yeah, house left, but row G!!). I'm jazzed, since $402 for two is a bargain in my book.

My question? Well, I got dinner ressies at FIX, which is a new eatery at Bellagio. Has anyone dined there yet? Was it any good? It looks classy on the website, but how noisy is the room?

japw82 Jul 11th, 2005 04:41 PM

We bought this package for my parents. They said the dinner at FIX was terrible and wished they would have booked either Jasmines or Shitaro's (spelling?). I'm not sure about the noise level of the restaurant but it is unusual for my parents to make a negative statement about a gift and they did, which tells me the food wasn't good and the dining experience was similar. However, they thoroughly enjoyed "O".

chicgeek Jul 11th, 2005 07:23 PM

We had dinners at Olive's and at Prime, both in the Bellagio, and they were both great.

rjw_lgb_ca Jul 12th, 2005 07:08 AM

japw82: Interesting. The LV Review Journal gave it a pretty good write-up, and it's brand-new, so I'm going to take my chances with it. Especially since the menus at Jasmine and Shintaro didn't look that thrilling (I love Shanghai Lilly at Mandalay Bay, but really, I can get good Asian cuisine anytime I want near my house). I'll cross my fingers and hope their executive chef has gotten his act together. The main thing: "O" seats on the floor!!!

travelinwifey Jul 12th, 2005 08:51 AM

I can't comment on the food at Fix (the menu looks very good) but I had drinks there with a friend when she was visiting. They play mostly 80's music and it is a loud place, on the corner right before you enter the Bellagio shops. The drinks were the most watered down I've ever had in my life. When we were there a gent was handing out free entrance for female tourists to Bellagio's nightclub "Light".

TripleSecDelay Jul 12th, 2005 01:02 PM

You're quite lucky, rjw. We saw O last week and had house left, 12th row. These were near perfect - as there aren't many bad seats in that theatre. (there are some wing seats we saw on the other side of the stair rails that could qualify as the bad seats.)

We also saw Mystere and had front row seats. Never again. We actually did not know where our seats were located when we received the free tix from a friend. The issue is that this location is too close to have the proper perspective for the aerial acts, and when there are platforms or other movable items onstage, the view is partially obscured. Bittersweet experience.

rjw_lgb_ca Jul 12th, 2005 01:15 PM

TripleSecDelay: I know I'm lucky. Well, maybe just extravagant. The non-package seats for that weekend are all in the nosebleed section of the theatre, and this is a birthday present, so hell, I'm gonna pay a little for the pleasure!

japw82, I hope you don't think I'm just discounting your parents' experience out of hand. I don't doubt that they didn't enjoy FIX. The whole "buzz" on it is Self-Consciously Trendy, which can translate into Spotty Food and Bad Service, especially in a new restaurant. Subsequent buzz is good, but travelingwifey's "watery drinks" observation has me leery. Oh well, we'll just drink wine.

Thanks, all!

japw82 Jul 12th, 2005 02:04 PM

The package we bought had only a few menu selections and I know my parents had the Prime Rib, which was blackened and the soup (tomato)was no better than Campbells condensed. Maybe they were there on an off night. Please report on your dining experience on Fodors. I am curious to get feedback as we may be purchasing another package in the near future and don't want to make a decision based on one experience.

Mincepie Jul 12th, 2005 02:11 PM

That was our only complaint too...only a few limited choices of entree.

rjw_lgb_ca Jul 12th, 2005 02:25 PM

Well, that's the essence of a prix fixe offering (remember when it was called "table d'hôtel"?)-- limited menu choices. I think we'll manage. Hey, we can find another high-end joint for dinner another night....

stormygirl Jul 12th, 2005 02:39 PM

I've eaten at FIX twice- once in January and again last weekend with different people. Steller food both times, everyone loved their meals. Flavors and portions were wonderful. Neither time did we have the prix fix though. Service as always in LV is spotty.

chicgeek Jul 12th, 2005 03:35 PM

Just in case anyone reading this thread thinks you need front row seats to enjoy "O", you do not.

We have seen the show twice, the last time from the balcony. We really enjoyed those seats, because you get the entire perspective of the show. There is so much going on vertically and throughout the theater. There is no "nosebleed" section---the theater is small enough that even the top rows are not too far from the stage. So don't be afraid to get balcony tickets.

Enjoy the show---it is great! (Our friend who hadn't seen it before, called it "the most breathtaking show" she had ever seen!)

travelinwifey Jul 12th, 2005 04:09 PM

There is definitely a nosebleed section:) Seats on to the left or right on the higher levels cannot see fully over the balcony. There is also obstructed view seating where you cannot see with the pole railing in front of you.