Vegas: Hotel queues and check-in strategies

Oct 16th, 2003, 11:09 PM
Original Poster

Vegas: Hotel queues and check-in strategies

This is my first time in Las Vegas and I heard that queues in many Las Vegas hotels can be long. I also heard that if you check in earlier at the hotel you may get a better room, especially if there are 'room upgrade' deals but only while these rooms are available. Could someone comment please?
Oct 17th, 2003, 02:22 AM

I would be interested in this too. We were at the Luxor in July and we loved it...I was just blown away by the length of time we had to wait in line for our room.

Then, we thought we would try for the whole "we are celebrating our 10th anniversary" thing and the very busy clerk responded "we will be happy to upgrade you for $100!" LOL. We still laugh about us trying to be smooth travelers....
Oct 17th, 2003, 02:47 AM

It probably depends a bit on the hotel.

I was amazed last New Year when I was at the Luxor. I went to the check-in desks nearest to the entrance by the Sphinx and the crowds were huge. Each desk had at least twenty people in each queue. I remembered the other desks by the side entrance, went there and walked straight to a free check-in clerk.

I went back to the other check-in area on the way to my room and told a few people they could easily avoid these long queues. The reaction I seemed to get from most people were that I was mad suggesting people walk a hundred yards or so with all their bags. There's just no helping some people!
Oct 17th, 2003, 02:58 AM

Have you thought of using the hotel checkin facililies at the airport baggage area? Worked a treat with the LV Hilton.
Oct 17th, 2003, 07:06 AM

Park Place properties offer airport checkin, I think NYNY might also. That's about your only bet to avoid a line other than luck and timing.

Checking in early probably won't help much either if you're trying to checkin before most people check out because the rooms aren't available. The best way to get an upgrade is to slip a $20 to the checkin clerk and ask for a specific upgrade like "The Rain Man Suite" or the "Mega Tower" or whatever is applicable at the hotel you're staying. I usually don't ask for strip views but rather, different towers or petite suites. Have had success with the $20.
Oct 17th, 2003, 07:14 AM

Where will you be staying?
As Loki points out, you can check in at Bally's Paris, Caesar's etc AT the airport, right next to baggage claim, get your key right there, and skip the whole queue process.
Oct 17th, 2003, 10:25 AM

At the Bellagio they whizzed us in they were great! MGM had long lines but we did an advance check-in by phone but the line was still fairly long. We are going to try the Venetians new tower that has its own check in see how that works.
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:00 AM

A comment on getting upgrades... Vegas thrives on tips and "bribes". Slipping almost anyone money will get you something better/faster.
For an example, we were late for our reservation at Prime (steakhouse at the Bellagio- very, very good), but my husband bribed the host and we were seated within 5 mins. with a lakefront seat. Only in Vegas!

Search this Thread