Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Fodorites love diverse neighborhoods, but few people actually want to move to them

Search

Fodorites love diverse neighborhoods, but few people actually want to move to them

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Les

The most overused word on the Fodors site is "diverse." People are constantly told about the glories of visiting a diverse city, or moving into a diverse neighborhood. When people ask about moving to a city, the fellow Fodor posters always promote a "diverse" area of town.

If going to these diverse places is so great then why are neighborhoods all over America becoming more similar and less diverse? Look at the schools, every year they become less diverse and more and more dominated by one race. People are always more comfortable being with people more like themselves unless they post on Fodors,(human nature 101).

Anyway, what exactly is a diverse neighborhood, is Harlem a diverse neighborhood? How about South Central LA? Or the east side of Washington DC?

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:01 PM
xxx

Les-Obviously you haven't spent a lot of time here, the most overused word here is not diverse. It is either moron or troll or better yet the phrase get a life as in you need one pal...

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Luther

The Fodor posters are a cultured eduacated group and thus can appreciate living in a diverse neighborhood. The average pperson is not so they are more likely to want to live on a street where everyone is the same.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Mark

Because diversity sounds better as a concept than in practice. Is there any examples around the world where people that are drastically different ethnically living in peace?

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Brian

I live in a diverse neighborhood which is mixed income and mixed race. So what? I don't think you have to live in a diverse area necessarily just to appreciate one. My brother lives in a lily white town in a lily white state and LOVES to visit our area.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Kathy

I love visiting diverse places but because of property values and school issues prefer to live in a place dominated by college educated white professionals.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Jim

I don't think this is a very diverse topic. Do you all live in Trollville?

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Gary

Diversity sounds great until the woods next to your home (that is worth $500,000) is cut down for affordable housing.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Buggeroff, pig troll

TROLL TROLL TROLL

You are clearly "liberal-baiting," the favorite sport of rednecky trolls with not a thing better to do than pick fights and sound off about your FAVORITE villains.

Blow off.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Harold

I think that is a very interesting travel related topic. The diversity of a place is very important to the culture and feel of a place.

I see no troll.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Hmmm

I think that people,individually and collectively, seek out lifesyles with which they are comfortable. We may enjoy a trip through the looking glass to a different environment than our own, but most of us are happier in the end with what is familiar.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Cajunboy

I am white with a professional job and post graduate degree. I live within the city limits of New Orleans (and no, not the Garden District). You can't get any more diverse than that. Love it and wouldn't have it any other way, except I wish all the tourists would go somewhere else. Oops, now that was not a very diverse thing to say.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:58 PM
wSpivey

Interesting question. I like a little flava in my neighborhood. All WASP, all the time....maybe not.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 01:11 PM
mjm

I don't think it's a case of "diversity" as much as people prefer to live alongside those in similar economic situations. How those neighborhoods break down ethnically is another issue.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Elizabeth

This is a troll post, I can't be bothered to try to be amusing about it, but just by the way actualam, I can't recall seeing the word "diverse" in any post but this one.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Cheryl

Elizebeth (the last poster) do a search under the word diverse on this site and 100s of messages come up. Diversity is a overused word by the politically correct posters on this site.

I for one enjoy visiting diverse places but prefer to live with people more like me, less conflict.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 02:13 PM
xxx3

Cheryl, I gotta agree with you. It's nice to visit diversity, but I don't want to raise my kids among folks with significantly different expectations than mine when it comes to personal responsibility, academics, etc.

Yes, I have lived in such neighborhoods. When my kids' peers started skipping school and getting arrested for loitering, and their parents' reponse was that the city should provide more recreational facilities, I knew it was time to head out to a more homogeneous neighborhood! (By the way, the new neighborhood is more middle-class but also racially more diverse than the old one.)

Sorry to be so un-PC, but there it is.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 05:28 PM
whitey

I have always lived in very immigrant-y neighborhoods and am living in a white/black professional neighborhood and I don't like it very much. (I moved cross country). The restaurants here aren't very good, and I'm sick of hearing complaints about immigrants stealing jobs (like my neighbors really want to mop floors at Mickey D's.) Anyway, I'm not keen on this place, I'm out of here when my lease is up.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 03:56 AM
Gary

With all the service type jobs that need to be done (people of color -especially hispanics of indian decent) will be needed for the grount work. If the white upper middle class street you live on has a Ruby Tuesday near by it will need low wage labor to clean it up and wash the dishes. 20 years ago that work was done by high school students for $9.00 an hour, now it is done by hispanics for $7.00 an hour. Where will those people live? (Not in my neighborhood???)

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Truth

Diversity is a feel good word promoted by the public relations people working for corporations that like cheap labor and want to affect public policy/public opinion and congress so they can bring in lots of cheap labor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -