Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

vancouver, toronto, montreal, denver, or san fran?

May 30th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

A planned vacation shortly after the fourth of july fell through for me, but I've decided to go somewhere with my free time, and I've narrowed my choices to the above cities. I'll be travelling on my own, I'm a young-30's single male and enjoy the outdoors, good nightlife, museums, live music, and eclectic people. Any insights on which city I might enjoy most? Thanks for your assistance.
May 30th, 2005, 01:36 PM

I've never been to Toronto but all the others and I think Vancouver is a really happening town, great sights and vibrant nightlife. You can also take an easy side trip to Vancouver Island or take the ferry to Port Angeles and check out Olympic National Park.
May 30th, 2005, 01:47 PM

I live near SF and have visited Vancouver several times. Both have what you're looking for, but I'd probably opt for Vancouver. Easier to get around, more spectacular outdoor options (including a ferry to Vancouver Island), more compact city. SF probably has more nightlife and music variety; Vancouver will save you money. If you choose SF, rent a car to get out of town and drive highway 1 along the coast in either direction.
May 30th, 2005, 01:56 PM
syd

I've spent time in all of your choices, and would definitely pick Vancouver as my top choice. I loved everything about the place. If you have time to make it to the Pacific coast on Vancouver Island, it's great. Especially Botanical Beach at low tide.

2nd choice: San Fran
3rd: Montreal
4th: Toronto
5th: Denver (although if you were to spend more time in Boulder and the Rocky Mountain National Park I'd bump this up to 4th choice).

Have a wonderful trip!
May 30th, 2005, 01:56 PM

You don't say how long you have but if it were me I'd look at renting a car in either Vancouver or SF, then take 4 or 5 days to drive between the two, via the coast - redwoods, Oregon coast, Olympic NP, things like that. Best of all worlds.
May 30th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Well, it looks like Vancouver's the place. . .I was leaning that way, but your insights just confirmed it. Thanks for the help, and if there's anything in particular I should check out (beyond Vancouver Islands, which sounds awesome), please let me know. Thanks again!
May 30th, 2005, 03:58 PM

I'm curious why you have three Canadian cities in your five-city list. In any event, if you've never been to San Francisco, that is where you should go unless--as you admit--you were tending toward Vancouver before you posted your inquiry.
May 30th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

I don't enjoy hot weather much at all. . .and in July, more likely than not I'd run into some pretty high temps in most of the states. I've been to san fran for a day, and would like to return someday, but never having been to vancouver lures me in.
May 30th, 2005, 06:24 PM

FYI, it can get pretty hot and humid in Toronto in July.
May 30th, 2005, 06:28 PM

I vote for Montreal.
We have been there many times in August, there is always a festival or music something going on, the cafes are open late, sidewalk cafes, lots of people and life!
And good food
Is your name Luke?
May 30th, 2005, 06:29 PM

I do know you want to go in July, I am just mentioning that we went in August because I know what it is like in the summer
May 30th, 2005, 08:02 PM

Hi coolhand, SF is not hot (or shouldn't be) in July however as much as I love SF I sure love Vancouver also. I think you would have a wonderful time. And Vancouver Island is so beautiful also. I don't know how long of a vacation you will have but if you run out of things you want to do (which I doubt) you could go down to Seattle also. Have a great trip!!
May 31st, 2005, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

No, not really named Luke. One of my favorite movies is "Cool Hand Luke", so I thought it was a nice handle rather than just plain old Tim .

Are you really named Scarlett?