Vancouver to Washington State

Sep 25th, 2017, 06:51 AM
Original Poster
Vancouver to Washington State

Hey everyone!

My husband and I are spending 8-9 days in Vancouver in early October and we hoped to add Washington State into the mix. We will only have one full day for this.

We were thinking about driving to Seattle, Space Needle, dinner and back but are now thinking we'd prefer to have a more chilled/scenic day and see Deception Pass State Park.

From reading some great old threads on here I've come up with this route:

Travel I-99 to the Peace Arch border crossing, then follow I-5 south and exit at Fairhaven/250. Head through Chuckanut down to Whitney, then onto Fidalgo Island. Enter Deception Pass State Park taking in the views and beaches (any tips here? I've read about the jet boat; where do you board?)

We will then probably turn back to Vancouver as I'm not sure we'll have time to continue down Whidbey Island to Coupeville/Langley and take the ferry from Clinton to Mukilteo, then back to Vancouver. Agree?

All tips and advice will be very much appreciated. Plus any lunch/dinner recommendations between Fairhaven and Fidalgo, with sea views if possible.

Sep 25th, 2017, 07:04 AM
Sounds perfect to me. Not familiar with the jet boat, however.
Sep 25th, 2017, 07:19 AM
Doing the full loop will depend on how early you leave Vancouver or how late you're willing to return. Here's the overall route -

Google's times tend to be a bit optimistic and of course they don't account for waiting for the ferry, or stops for meals or sightseeing. I would probably play it by ear; at least see Coupeville before turning around if you choose not to go all the way down to Langley and Mukilteo.

I've included La Conner on the way down. La Conner is quite comparable to Coupeville or Langley in terms of picturesque-waterfront-village vibe, and it would be a fine place for a stop either coming or going.

At Deception Pass, I like the North Beach and West Beach areas as well as the views from the bridges.

North Beach view -
West Beach -

I'd also include Fort Casey State Park just south of Coupeville. It has a nice lighthouse, cool coastal defense gun batteries, and great views of the Olympic mountains.

You might also have a look at the tide tables for your visit. If you can be at Deception Pass at the peak flood/ebb times (midpoint on the curve) some days the water flowing through the narrow gap can be amazing.

Boat tours -
Sep 26th, 2017, 06:42 AM
Original Poster
Gardyloo thank you so much for your detailed reply. You're awesome and truly a credit to this forum (I stumbled upon your old messages from 2015 when originally researching the route to Deception Pass!)

Lunch in La Conner, boat tour and if time, Coupesville/Fort Casey have been added to the list.

Any idea how long border crossing might take into WA? I'm a British Citizen with an approved ESTA. Husband is a UK PR but an Indian passport holder; he has a valid multi-entry USA visa (expires 2025).

We should be hitting the border around 11am. Fx it doesn't ruin the day!

Search this Thread