Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Vancouver Island to Seattle - what are my options?

Vancouver Island to Seattle - what are my options?

May 29th, 2001, 10:30 PM
Ellen

Vancouver Island to Seattle - what are my options?

I'm going to be staying up at a resort near Parksville on Vancouver Island for a week. And then we're driving down to Seattle and flying home 4 days later. We got the resort offered to us at the last minute and now we're having difficulty finding a reasonable hotel room in Seattle. Are there any towns worth stopping in for a night on our drive down from Canada? Or should we just make the drive directly to Seattle and plan on staying by the airport for the 3 nights? Is there a ferry that we could take from Victoria to Port Angeles? And if so, is Port Angeles worth seeing? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We leave on Sunday and are a little panicked about not having the Washington portion of the trip planned.

May 29th, 2001, 11:40 PM
ALF

Ellen,
There are lots of options to driving straight to Seattle. The Black Ball Line, a private ferry company, can take you and your car from downtown Victoria to Port Angeles. From there, you could easily spend a day or two journeying up to nearby Hurricane Ridge, in Olympic National Park. Beautiful high Alpind vistas, short walks, or long hikes are available there. Just east of Port Angeles is Dungeness Spit, a fine beach walk on a sand spit that extends into the Straits of Juan de Fuca. Finally, a visit to the old town of Port Townsend is fun. You could then take the Port Townsend Ferry over to Whidbey Island, which has several great places to stay, particularly in the town of Langley. One more ferry from Whidbey Island to the mainland leaves you about an hour north of Seattle.
Another alternative would be to take the Washington State Ferry through the San Juan Islands (assuming that it still runs to Swartz Bay, east of Victoria - I heard that the run might be canceled for budget reasons). You could stop on one of the islands (San Juan and Orcas have some great places to stay) along the way. You would end up in Anacortes, which has some nice places to stay, as well as some fine restaurants.
Finally, you could take a B.C. ferry to Tsawassen (just south of Vancouver), or the ferry from Nanaimo to Horseshoe Bay. I don't know if you've spent much time in Vancouver, but it has a lot to offer in terms of sightseeing and accomodations.

Al

May 30th, 2001, 07:30 AM
Tina

I'll be making a similar trip this summer. Does anyone have any suggestions of a decent city to stay in north of Seattle that might be more reasonable? I've been searching for hotel rooms in Seattle and they're either all sold out or over $250 a night. I know that summer's much higher, but I'm having a difficulty with spending twice as much on a room rate for the same hotels that I've stayed at in the early spring.

May 30th, 2001, 08:04 AM
John

You might look into the new Silver Cloud Inn, located on the water next to the Whidbey Island ferry dock in Mukilteo. They may have rooms more in the $100 - $150 range (maybe less on specials). Mukilteo is around a 30 min. drive to Seattle, past the Boeing plant (biggest building in the world, BTW) where the tours are offered. http://www.scinns.com/mukilteo.htm

May 30th, 2001, 11:49 AM
Don

Tina, Try Priceline--they've got 3* and 4* hotels in Seattle for less than $100/night--in some cases, MUCH less. Go to the following Web site and check out the Seattle thread for info on people's successful bids for Seattle hotels:

http://pub4.ezboard.com/bpricelineandexpediabidding

Usual disclaimers apply--no affiliation with Priceline, no vested interest in your using the Web site I mentioned, yadda, yadda.

While I'm aware that Priceline doesn't give you the flexibility of choosing the specific hotel you want, the savings (in my humble opinion) more than make up for it.

Search this Thread