First Time trip to DC

Old May 15th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Time trip to DC

Hi,
Thanks to much appreciated advice, we are staying at the Hotel Monaco in July. Since we have (embarrasedly) never been to DC, any advice on what would be the best things to do with teens would be greatly appreciated. The major museums are obvious, and I have contacted our rep for Capitol and White House tours - but any other ideas would be wonderful. Particularly, what would be the best things to do in the evenings? We will be there for four nights from July 10.
Thanks so much!
Old May 15th, 2008, 04:47 AM

See if the Nationals are home to see a baseball game.

There are a lot of recent threads on here about DC so they should help you a lot.
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:12 AM

As someone else mentioned - do the trolley tour - that way, you get to see everything, and jump on/jump off. Great way to get around. It will be hot in July, so definitely dress appropriately. Tours of the Memorials in the evenings are really pretty, as well.... 5 days is a good amount of time for DC - don't try to pack too much into each day - it'll be hot, it'll be croweded, and you'll make yourself cranky... Spread it out, and edit your list.... You'll have a great time.. (and then, you can come back!!)
Old May 15th, 2008, 04:10 PM

definately do one of the night tours.

check out the smithsonian site...several of the museums have extended summer hours...or get tickets for IMAX/special feature movie in the evening.

make reservations for the spy museum and operations spy for 4pm (to do both need to schedule 3 hours before closing, 7pm) then go to dinner at Rosa Mexicano which is nearbye.

check out the theatre/concert schedules...we saw macbeth at the folger theatre...fantastic! depending on the age of the teens..."capital steps" was fun...we didn't have time, but kennedy center offers free concerts ...I think at 6pm.

also, DC offers a lot of unique/ethnic dining experiences.

also, check out schedules for free concerts around dc and outdoor movies on the mall in the summer
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:30 PM

washingtonpost.com is a great resource for events and restaurants in and around DC, including free concerts, which are indeed common in the summer. If you decide on an outdoor concert, you could picnic, too.

Agree about seeing the monuments at night, that's a must.

This may not count as an activity, but I think you and your teens would enjoy Jaleo for tapas: unless you're totally jaded about tapas, they make for a fun meal. You could stroll around Georgetown one evening, too, have dinner there first then grab ice cream or a cupcake afterward.
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the ideas. We love tappas, the trolley is a great idea and my son will surely love seeing a Nats game (my daughters will complain, but that's ok).
Thanks once again!
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:41 AM

Regarding the spy museum, I've read some not too favorable reports on it, such as there are lots of inaccuracies, it's just a bunch of hype, etc. Can someone who's been comment?
Old May 16th, 2008, 05:22 AM

IME, the spy museum is great with kids, who get the fun of pretending to be a spy. We'd never gone before, assuming it was primarily silly hype without much accuracy; and it was silly hype, but the kids loved it. And accuracy was not too bad, actually. Wouldn't recommend it for adults, but with kids in the group, it can be worth it.
Old May 16th, 2008, 08:42 AM

If you're looking for something a bit more "adult" than the Spy Museum, and willing to take a bit of a detour away from downtown, the National Cryptologic Museum is another idea. I've never been (but plan to this summer) but the Washington Post did a review not too long ago: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...050101314.html.
Old May 16th, 2008, 09:34 AM
dmlove

What about the brand new Newseum - has anyone been yet?

Old May 16th, 2008, 10:54 AM

Marrakesh Restaurant: www.marrakesh.us
Fun time for all!
Old May 16th, 2008, 10:59 AM

also, the 'Off the Beaten Track" book for DC is very useful for new and different ideas.
Old May 17th, 2008, 06:53 AM

The National Cryptologic Museum looks like the ticket. Is it possible to get there if you are visiting DC without a car?
Old May 17th, 2008, 09:18 AM

I've been to the National Cryptologic Museum. It's very small and nothing special other than the chance to play with an Enigma machine. It's also tough to reach without a car.

The Spy Museum has much more interesting stuff, but is off-putting to some because visitors might feel the interactivity is too forced and if you aren't up for the activity it's not as interesting.

The Newseum isn't bad, but for non-news junkies, $20 seems a bit step, especially with some many other great museums and galleries around.

If you've been to DC before and hit all of the usual spots, it's a nice addition (or edition Otherwise, it would be a day 4 or 5-level stop.
Old May 17th, 2008, 10:53 AM

We loved the Spy Museum. Great gift shop, some spy movie and TV items, and a genuine Enigma machine!
My teen is a history nut who was driven crazy by the dippy kids who didn't know what that was. She loved, loved, loved the National Archives(people who didn't get it there spanned all age ranges).

Check the theatre listings. We saw "Shenandoah!" at the Ford theater, a great way to see the Lincoln stuff.Spend some time in the smaller neighborhoods-great restaurants and people watching.
Old May 18th, 2008, 12:04 PM

The Library of Congress and Supreme Court tours also interest teens and the American Indian Museum and a great cafeteria.
Old May 18th, 2008, 04:26 PM

Marrakesh is a good idea. The food is very good but it's really the overall experience of the place. You lounge on pillows and share dinner. It's a full evening with food and entertainment, not just a quick meal. Call to make reservations and ask about the best time to arrive so that you'll get the dinner and the show.
Old May 18th, 2008, 05:50 PM

What are the prices like at Marrakesh? Their website doesn't say, and the restaurant is not on the Washingtonian restaurant finder.
Old May 18th, 2008, 06:25 PM

Glad to read you have some time in DC. If you like trees, plants and space, think about the National Arboretum, located outside of the city. I have seen a bus/shuttle dropping off visitors, so you should check the web site for transportation.....easier than driving.
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:27 AM

Marrakesh is about $30 per person - it's a fixed price, multiple course meal. I used to be a big fan, but I personally don't think the food is that great anymore. But it is more about the experience, which leads me to warn you - be prepared to spend a lot of time at dinner if you go to Marrakesh! It usually takes 4 hours or so to get out of there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -