Valentine's Get Away, Where?

Old Feb 9th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valentine's Get Away, Where?

I'm looking for a great weekend get away from the New Jersey area for my hubby and I to get away (want to drive no more than 3 hrs)....love romantic place but also with fun stuff around...thought of Philly or NYC but don't know if want hustle/bustle of city..in less someone has a great suggestion...Any suggestions...anything unusual/interesting?????
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 11:03 AM

How 'bout the Brandywine Valley and the du Pont family estates there? The Inn at Montchanin, Fairville Inn, and Hotel du Pont are all romantic and there's plenty of good food to be found.

Another thought would be Bucks County, PA . Doylestown is home to Mercer and Michener museums, several good restaurants, and a great wine bar. There are some cute shops, plus you're close to New Hope/Lambertville/Lahaska.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 11:39 AM

I would go to DC but I don't know how far down you are in NJ. I don't think you can find memorable and less you put in some travel time.

I was also pleasantly surprised with Baltimore, totally cleaned up from years ago. You can stay at the Marriott right on the water, walk to a number of great seafood restaurants. Actually I did Baltimore as a Day trip from Southern New Jersey but it certainly wetted my appetite for a return trip.

I would also ski but you would know to do that if you were a skier.

www.smarterliving.com I would go online and check out last minute faires on Tuesday. Tuesday is when they enter fares for the upcoming weekend. Don't you think it would be spontaneous and romantic to take in San Francisco for the weekend? Fares were at 198 round trip for the past few weeks.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 12:05 PM

If you're talking about this coming weekend I think you might be a bit late. Not only is it Val. day but also President's weekend when all the kids are off AND Val day on a Sat night.

But...have a look at the website escapemaker.com for weekend ideas

Previous threads that may interest you

weekend getaway from central NJ
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34450867

Hotels & dining in Brandywine Valley
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34452048
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 12:40 PM

almc -- I have reservations at a great & unique restaurant in Phila at 8:15pm on Saturday night that I plan on canceling. Cost is $150 per couple, fixed menu, including alcohol. Do you want them? Post your email and I will send you more details. I will wait until 10pm tonight to cancel.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 12:42 PM

check out site59.com for great last-minute ideas from your city.
Susan
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 01:41 PM

BF and I had the same idea, except we're in NYC. I looked into Baltimore, but most of the hotels are booked, and the only ones left are either way too high, or look way too far. We decided on DC (but staying in Arlington) if that helps. That, and I was able to get a dinner reservation!

Depending on where in NJ you are, maybe you could consider heading north to CT or VT?