vail,colorado, where to eat and rent skis

Dec 30th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

vail,colorado, where to eat and rent skis

two families going skiing staying on the edge of vail village. want to know best and most accomodating place to rent ski's and storage, and some cool restaurants. dog sledding and snow mobiling outfitters. going jan. 18th
Dec 30th, 2007, 09:21 AM

I would recommend skiing at Beaver Creek, rather than Vail, on that Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Vail often gets very crowded on that holiday weekend, but we've never waited in a lift line at Beaver Creek during the same time.
Dec 30th, 2007, 03:56 PM

Need a better description of "edge of Vail village." and type of or price level of restaurants. Abram is correct -- it will be crazy weekend. Even season ticket holders are prohibited from skiing that weekend.
Jan 4th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

we are staying onwest meadow drive near vail road I belieave on the east side of the village. I am lookinf for affordable places to eat,being we have 5 kids with us. also a place for dinner and fun for just the 4 adults.
thanks for the input on beaver creek skiing

I still am looking for ski rentals. It looks like we are closest to the giant steps lift and thevista bahn express
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:54 PM

I've only rented once at Pepi's but had a good experience there.

Here are some family dining suggestions:

Pozzo's Pizza
Los Amigos
Red Lion
Bully Ranch at the Sonnenalp
Sir Lancelot

In Lionshead:

Bart & Yeti

Of the many options, a few adult dining suggestions:

Blu's
Sweet Basil
Up the Creek
Montauk

If you want a truly extravagent dinner, get a reservation for Game Creek Club. About $110 per person without wine for either a fixed or limited menu. To get to dinner, you take the gondola from Lionshead to Eagle's Nest and then a private snow-cat to a Bavarian-style cabin on the mountain. Great views (if you arrive before dark) and great food. A very unique experience.

Jan 14th, 2008, 09:25 AM

My wife and I are going this weekend too. I was able to find rentals at vailskibase.com for 11.50 per person per day. We are beginners and don't need the newest equipment. They are supposed to be 23/ day but if you do an internet search you can find a 2for1 coupon. Hope this helps. We are kinda stuck on dinners too. I want to eat a nicer places but don't want to pay an arm and a leg while doing so. I am open to any suggestions. I check out sweet basil and it seems a little expensive for what they are serving. This is or first time out west. We are really excited.
Jan 14th, 2008, 09:40 AM

Sweet Basil is very expensive and very good.

We've been going to Vail every year for 30 years, and we eat at most of the places I listed every time we go. I especially like Bully Ranch, Los Amigos, Blu's and Sir Lancelot for good food at reasonable prices. Bart & Yeti is great for burgers, ribs, etc., but its atmosphere is more "hole in the wall."

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that you can ride the gondola at night for free, and there's a reasonably-priced restaurant at the top (Eagle's Nest). The name of the restaurant is "Blue" something or "Moon" something, or maybe it's "Blue Moon." It's fun to ride the gondola and look at the lights below. We sometimes eat at this restaurant for lunch too.

If you have a car, there are many good restaurants a few miles down the road in Edwards.
Jan 14th, 2008, 06:01 PM

It's Vail in high season so all 'good' restaurants will be expensive.

Sweet Basil's is one of Colorado's best restaurant and certainly one of Vail's most popular. It ranks in the upper price range for Vail but certainly not the most expensive.
IMO it's worth every penny.
Jan 15th, 2008, 09:08 AM

psrome, I find it interesting that you are going to one of the premier ski resorts and expressing concern about price. As a beginner you do need the newest and latest equipment from a safety view. You want all of your bindings to work properly and the techs to have properly prepared your equipment.

Vail is not a mountain that I would recommend for beginner skiers to learn on. Personally think that there are other areas that do a better job with beginners. But I agree with historytraveler that Sweet Basil is a great restaurant and is not overpriced for what they serve. But it is dining experience which goes beyond the food on the plate.
Jan 15th, 2008, 06:01 PM

Vail not a good mountain for beginners to learn on??? Sorry, but I strongly disagree. It's where I took my first lessons (from fantastic instructors) in 1977 and where my excellent-skier husband has skied with me as I improved. Almost every chair lift on the front side of the mountain has both easy and tougher ways down and usually one groomed run, making it perfect for groups of varying abilities to stay together.
Jan 15th, 2008, 07:18 PM

Jean -- that was 30 years ago !!! You can learn to ski very well at Vail BUT there better places to learn to ski.
Jan 16th, 2008, 07:29 AM

The mountain hasn't changed. If anything, the ski company has improved the runs over 30 years, and I think they have just about the best snow maintenance (grooming, coverage).

I've watched the ski school classes at different ability levels all over the mountain, and I've overheard some good tips that I now use. I've talked with ski and boarding students while we're on the lifts, and they've had great things to say about the ski school. In recent years, Vail has offered a learn-to-ski program for disabled war vets, and we've spent time at lunch talking with these men. They can hardly contain their enthusiasm for their instructors and the mountain.

I'd be interested to know what other places are doing "better" for beginner skiers.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Ani

I really like the Ore House just across the covered bridge. Also, Lionshead village has some great casual restaurants with wonderful views...and they are a short free shuttle ride away.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:33 PM

Jean, I didn't say anything was wrong with Vail ski instruction. Maybe I should have used the words, "better value." Vail is a premier mountain resort with premier pricing. A beginner at Vail will pay top dollar for everything from rentals, lift passes, etc., to meals on the slope and the instruction will be no better than can get at Breckenridge or Loveland. My point is that beginner cannot take advantage or appreciate the quality of the Vail resort so why pay that price.

As for grooming, Keystone is generally regarded as having the best groomed slopes.

Only disadvantage to learning at Vail is that a beginner has to be careful on the slopes. Vail is old style ski resort that does not have very good separation of skiers, Green trails will cross black slopes and sometimes blacks may empty into a green or blue slope or the reverse,

The discussion may be pointless. They probably froze to death this week anyway. It has been COLD and windy. I was up yesterday and it overcast all day, light snow, and single digit temp. But the skiing was good - everyone had gone home or stayed inside.