Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Vaction in Hawaii..... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/vaction-in-hawaii-477799/)

cruiser51 Oct 1st, 2004 05:35 AM

Vaction in Hawaii.....

We are going on a cruise to Hawaii next week. We are flying over to Oahu, will be there for half day and most of the next day. Then we fo to Hilo, Kona, Kauai, and Maui. We will be there 1 day each except for Maui and it is 2 days. We need to know the most important things to see. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

GloriaE Oct 1st, 2004 09:08 AM

The most awesome sight on the Big Island is Volcanoes National Park. You can get there from Hilo, probably your cruise can arrange a tour, or you could rent a car yourself and drive up to the park (about 1 hour from Hilo). Also from Hilo is the Hamakua Coast including Akaka Falls and the Hawaii Botanical Garden. You could arrange a tour or they are easy to get to if you rent a car. If you are in Hilo on a Wednesday or Saturday, there is a wonderful outdoor market downtown. The Kona side of the Big Island has shopping and south of Kona (driving) is the Place Of Refuge National Historic Park (PU?UHOUNAU O HONAUNAU) - which is lovely. If you would like to snorkle, you could arrange for a Fairwinds snorkle boat trip to Kealakekua Bay where the Cpt. Cook monument it. The Big Island is a wonderful place - have lot's fun.

cruiser51 Oct 1st, 2004 09:43 AM

Yes we are renting a car at all the islands except Kona. So we will have transportation. He are also not renting one at Oahu but there is a bus service there isn't there.......

GloriaE Oct 1st, 2004 10:15 AM

You probably already know this, but just in case - Kona and Hilo are both on the Big Island of Hawaii. Kona is a district on the windward (dryer) side of the island and Hilo is on the leeward (rainy) side of the island - hench the waterfalls and tropical gardens on the Hilo side. It is also closer to reach Volcanos National Park from the Hilo side of the island. At Kona you will disembark by boat at the Kailua-Kona pier and be able to walk to the shops and restaurants. There is an outdoor market on Wed.-Sun on the main street of Ali'i drive. Kona is famous for its sunsets, so get your camera ready. Without a car in the Kona District, you will miss The Place Of Refuge National Historic Park (PU'UHOUNAU O HONAUNAU). The Big Island of Hawaii is much, much larger than the other islands. There is bus service on Oahu. Have a wonderful time!

cruiser51 Oct 2nd, 2004 06:18 AM

Gloria: Can you answer a couple questions? We have 1 day in Kauai with a car would it be best to go west to waimea canyon or go north along coast?

On Maui how long does it take to drive from Lahania to wailuku and on to Hana we want to make it a day trip???

GloriaE Oct 4th, 2004 09:36 AM

Sorry, I don't know that much about Kauai or Maui (although I have been to Maui) because my heart is on the Big Island. Now if you have any more questions about the Big Island I would be glad to help. Have a wonderful trip!

wtggirl Oct 4th, 2004 09:56 AM

I love Maui! Although the island is not that big, the road to Hana is such an exhausting day trip that many choose to stay the night there. The road is very windy and you will want to make many stops for short walks to waterfalls and other look-outs. You can do it in a day, but expect it to be a long day and start early. The return is not as fun after a long day! To be honest, if I only had a port visit in Maui, I am not sure this would be my choice of activities. You might want to save it for a return visit and try to get a larger scope of the island that would make better use of your time. You could go to Haleakala national park in a half day or even Iao valley instead for a few hours, then balance that activity with several hours in Lahaina. The Old Lahaina Luau is really and truly one of the better ones on the islands. Also, the beaches are good in Kaanapali, just north of Lahaina and there is public access park just north of the Aston Kaanapali villas (which is just north of Royal Lahaina hotel). I think a combination of a couple of these activities may be a good option for your day in Maui.

dcmalia Oct 4th, 2004 09:59 AM

On Oahu, are you staying in Waikiki? Because my one piece of advice would be to GET OUT OF WAIKIKI! If you have a day and a half, here is what I would recommend:

1st afternoon & evening:

Drop your stuff at the hotel and take the bus out to Kailua. Stroll along Kailua Beach. Then eat dinner at Buzz's, a local favorite. (Actually, the secret may be out, I hear Clinton ate here during a trip to Hawaii...) It's a great place, very laid back and Hawaii-style. Get the teriaki steak! Afterward, take the bus back to Waikiki and have drinks at "House without a Key" at the Halekulani Hotel. Then go get some bargains at the International Marketplace! Dress down, take small bills, negotiate the prices!

2nd day - Depending on how much time you have... You can hike Diamond Head, visit the overly-crowded and way-too-touristy Hanama Bay, pay your respects at the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor, do some mega shopping at Ala Moana or visit the palace where Hawaii's former kings and queens lived.

Have fun!

Shar Oct 8th, 2004 08:02 PM

One day doesn't give you much time to see the Garden Isle (Kauai). Waimea Canyon is beautiful but so is the North Shore and the funky towns along the way. I don't usually recommend taking a tour but in this case you might want to so you can get a flavor of the island. If you are into snorkeling, you might want to book with a company before you leave. The helicopter tours are a faublous way to see the whole island from the air and really appreciate the beauty of it but the snorkeling tours leave in the arly am. I think the helicopter tours might have more than one flight. It's been awhile since I've taken the helicopter ride.

It isn't a big island and you could do both depending on how many hours you have and whether or not you want to plop down on a beach. From Nawiliwili it would take you about 45 minutes to 1 hour reach the North shore (without any stops) and about the same for the canyon.
Aloha

TripleSecDelay Oct 9th, 2004 04:23 PM

cruiser51 : Can you give us some insight as to the type of activities you normally enjoy? How active are you on vacations? Some things are great to see on foot, some by car, some from the theatre seating.
For example, I'm not normally drawn to theatre, but really enjoyed the Ulalena show on Maui in Lahaina.