Vacationing the Pacific Northwest

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I plan on venturing from Michigan out to the Pacific Northwest for our wedding anniversary in April. We're looking into staying 10 days. Major points of interest would be San Juan Islands, Seattle, Olympic National Forest, Portland, Crater Lake and the redwood forest. Where would it best to fly into? Fly out? Where should we stay and what should we check out? We'd like to map out our trip but have no clue where to start and where to finish. Any advise and information would be great!
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 02:49 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
It sounds like you need a weather check, too. Some issues:

Crater Lake will be snowbound and largely inaccessible. The complete rim typically doesn't open until July. The same goes for other mountain destinations, such as Mt. Rainier, Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, etc.

Olympic National Park is very large, and comprises several geographic/climate zones, from alpine (Hurricane Ridge, probably still very snowy in April) to coastal rainforests and beaches. The Pacific coast, from Olympic NP all the way down to the redwoods in northern California, is likely to be very wet in April.

The redwoods are closer to San Francisco than to Portland or Seattle.

The San Juan Islands will have nice spring conditions, as will Seattle and Portland. You might want to visit the daffodil and tulip fields in the Skagit Valley an hour north of Seattle, and visit the many waterfalls in the Columbia Gorge, an hour east of Portland. Those are wonderful sights in the spring.

With just ten days you're going to need to edit your list a little, unless you're fond of spending hours in the car every other day or so. Distances can be deceptive, especially if the weather's so-so.

When in April is your anniversary?
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

April 24th.

When is the best time to go? And if we choose to go at that time, what else would you suggest.

Thanks so much!
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 05:57 AM

September.
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 07:22 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Bobmrg's answer is probably the best, but I'll take a stab at an itinerary that might work with your April dates.

Day 1 - Fly to Seattle. Spend the night in the city.

Day 2 - Pick up a car and drive north to La Conner, a very cute little town not far from the Anacortes ferry terminal. Along the way, tour the tulip fields in the Skagit Valley - http://gardyloo.us/tulips404%20025s.jpg - and look for Snow Geese on the flats (amazing annual migration) - http://gardyloo.us/20100319_56as.JPG

Day 3 - Morning ferry from Anacortes to San Juan Island. Spend two nights on the island.

Day 5 - Return to Anacortes and drive south on SR 20 to Deception Pass State Park (amazing gap between Fidalgo and Whidbey Islands.) Continue down Whidbey Island to the Mukilteo ferry, then return to Seattle via SR 526, the "Boeing Freeway" past the Boeing Everett plant, biggest building in the world. Overnight near Seattle.

Day 6 - Cross the Cascades via I-90 then follow I-82 and US 97 through the Yakama Reservation down to Maryhill on the Columbia River. Visit the Maryhill Museum if it's open, and see the Stonehenge replica overlooking the river. Continue west (on the WA side of the river) west to Hood River, Oregon for the night. 2 nights in Hood River.

Day 7 - Drive up the Hood River Valley - gorgeous in the spring - to Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood. They will still be skiing, but the drive is well worth it. http://gardyloo.us/20100509_85a.JPG Return to Hood River.

Day 8 - Drive along the "historic" Columbia Gorge Highway to see a couple of the amazing waterfalls - e.g. http://gardyloo.us/latourellefallshdr1.jpg - and the vistas of the Gorge itself, e.g. - http://gardyloo.us/20100509_5a.JPG - before returning to Seattle up I-5.

Day 9-10 In Seattle.

This includes a fair sampling of the various landscapes that can be visited at this time of year without encountering too much lousy weather.

Now that said, if you wanted equal or more variety, with a chance of better weather, you might consider 10 days in northern California, which could include the redwoods, some amazing coastal scenery, and even a couple of days in the Gold Rush country (the Sierra foothills) in their spring beauty. Maybe even a day in Yosemite Valley, where the waterfalls will be beyond stunning.
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 08:37 AM

To much for 10 days. Pick just Oregon and Redwoods or just Washington.

BTW, you didn't mention Mount Rainier. It was probably our favorite. So much so, that we are going back and doing just it again in 2 weeks. We spent 13 days in Washington and 12 days in Oregon on 2 seperate trips and still wasn't enough time for either. Probably 2 of our all time favorite trips. We spent 3 days/nights in Olympic and it's great too. Loved the San Juan Island whale tour(Maya Whale Watching).
Heck, you might as well add in North Cascades if you just do Washington only. Portland and Seattle are both great.
You really can't go wrong with either state.
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 10:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Gardyloo's plan is good for Washington in April.
This would be my plan for Oregon. Fly to PDX. Take the red line light rail from outside baggage claim into Portland. Spend a night in Portland. Rent the car downtown and head out for Astoria (US 30). See the Column in Astoria. Head south on US 101 and make a stop in Cannon Beach to see Haystack Rock. Stop at the Tillamook Cheese factory for some great ice cream and cheese. Spend the night near or in Lincoln City.
From Lincoln City, drive through Newport. On the south end of the big bridge turn into the Oregon Coast Aquarium. Leaving the Aquarium, head south on 101 right on past the Sea Lion Caves (tourist trap IMO).
In Reedsport you may want to take 5 mile detour out Rt. 38 to see some Roosevelt elk at Dean's Creek viewing area.
Return to US 1201 and spend the night in or near Coos Bay/North Bend.
Next day head south through Brookings into California. See some great Coast Redwoods in Redwood NP which has several sections.
Stay overnight in or near Crescent City California. (night 4).
The "Trees of Mystery" is a bit of a tourist trap but they do have a nice gondola ride up to the top through some nice Coast Redwoods. From north of Crescent City, take US 199 back to Grants Pass Oregon and then I-5 south to the Gold Hill exit to connect with Rt. 234 east to Rt. 62 to the south entrance of Crater Lake NP. In April this year I snowshoed from the lodge which was shuttered.
Leaving Crater Lake, head east on 62 to get to US 97. Head north on US 97 to Bend. Spend two nights in Bend (nights 5,6).
Drive up or take the shuttle bus to Mt. Bachelor for skiing or snow tubing or even snowshoeing.
Leaving Bend take US 97 north to Madras and then US 26 to the Mt. Hood area. See and if possible stay at Timberline. If that is not possible, drive north on Rt. 35 down to Hood River to spend a night (night 7).
Spend your remaining time in the Columbia Gorge seeing the waterfalls etc. Spend at least 1 more night in Portland.
Turn in the rental car and take the red line back out to the airport (PDX). Don't miss Powell's Bookstore.
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

These are all great! Thank you so much for all your input! It really does help!
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 02:42 PM

Save Olympic National Park (not forest) for a special trip when you can spend at least three days there.

www.nps.gov/olym
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 03:46 PM

I would take this trip sometime from mid-July to mid-September if you want to see the mountain spots. April is a little early for Pacific Northwest optimal travel. You might have a lot of gray and rain. It would be much prettier in the summer. May and June can have some decent weather, as can the last half of September/first week of October, but the best is between 4th of July and Sept. 15.
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 08:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree with summer/fall being our nicest times here (I live in Seattle). You have too much on your list for 10 days only. With the redwoods being the furthest away from the rest.

Gardyloo always gives excellent advice & if you want to stick with April.

Otherwise summer or early fall and seeing Seattle, San Juans, and ONP would make a nice trip and do-able in 10 days.