Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Vacation with kids (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/vacation-with-kids-302318/)

Traci Mar 31st, 2003 06:19 AM

Vacation with kids

We would like to take a 7 day vacation towards the end of May with our children (ages 2 and 4). Ideally, we would like to go to a beach and stay in a town that has many activities for kids. We do not want to go to Walt Disney World or take a cruise. Any suggestions?

buckeyemom Mar 31st, 2003 08:25 AM

Can you be a little more specific? Are you driving or flying? Which part of the country? Expensive or moderate?

Traci Mar 31st, 2003 09:36 AM

We will be flying. We have no idea as to what part of the country. We've thought about Florida, Murtle Beach, Arizona, and Colorado. I've had a hard time finding both a beach and a town with kids activities. Price is a consideration but not the most important thing. This is our fist vacation ever so we want it to be special.

KathyK Mar 31st, 2003 09:44 AM

I think you will have a hard time finding a beach in Arizona or Colorado. Besides the beach, what kind of activities are you looking for? Destin Florida is supposed to have a beautiful beach with calm waters. I believe there are the usual miniature golf and water parks in the area also. The Outer Banks of North Carolina are also nice, but not so easy to reach if flying.

Traci Mar 31st, 2003 09:50 AM

We will be flying. We have no idea as to what part of the country. We've thought about Florida, Murtle Beach, Arizona, and Colorado. I've had a hard time finding both a beach and a town with kids activities. Price is a consideration but not the most important thing. This is our fist vacation ever so we want it to be special.

Traci Mar 31st, 2003 09:56 AM

Sorry for all the confusion. We really want to go to a beach, but we haven't found one with stuff for the kids, so we've considered Arizona and Colorado because they seem to have a lot of kid orientated activitites.

buckeyemom Mar 31st, 2003 10:00 AM

Some suggestions: San Diego, Hilton Head, SC, Sanibel Island, Florida.

elberko Mar 31st, 2003 10:02 AM

Traci, kids that age don't need "stuff", all they need is a bucket and shovel and they'll play happily for hours on a beach.

Barbara Mar 31st, 2003 10:03 AM

How about San Diego? Beaches (although the ocean water will still be pretty chilly) and kid things - the Zoo, Sea World, Legoland, Wild Animal Park. What kind of activities for kids are you looking for?

KathyK Mar 31st, 2003 10:37 AM

I totally agree with the previous poster that the kids, at ages 2 and 4, don't need "stuff". A hotel or condo with a beach and a pool will keep them entertained for the day and they'll be very tired at night. There aren't many activities that would interest very young kids, especially the 2 year old.

ChristieP Mar 31st, 2003 10:45 AM

South Padre Island, Texas?<BR>Lots of family-friendly activities and restaurants, condos for rent, hotels with nice pools, tons of beach, airport within a 45-minute drive...

Faina Mar 31st, 2003 10:53 AM

I join people who suggested San Diego. Nice beaches, and if you wish - kids' activities. Balboa park, Zoo, and lots and lots more.

mclaurie Mar 31st, 2003 10:57 AM

San Diego/La Jolla or Tampa Fla http://travels-web.com/guide/TampaFloridakids.shtml

Traci Mar 31st, 2003 11:20 AM

Sorry for all the confusion. We really want to go to a beach, but we haven't found one with stuff for the kids, so we've considered Arizona and Colorado because they seem to have a lot of kid orientated activitites.

ilisa Mar 31st, 2003 11:43 AM

I haven't been, but several of my friends have taken their families to Club Med Sandpiper in Florida. The town doesn't have much, but the resort has tons of activities for the family; there is a Kids Club which is supposed to be wonderful. My friends who have been there have taken children there as young as 8 months and as old as four. Something to think about.

Traci Mar 31st, 2003 11:45 AM

Sorry for the duplicate message. I accidentally hit refresh. <BR><BR>Thank you for the great ideas!! I'm already on the web looking up the sites.

Myrna Mar 31st, 2003 11:48 AM

Traci honey why do you keep repeating yourself?? There are TONS of beaches with activities for kids all over the US. Like the previous poster said, kids that age are happiest playing in the sand and splashing around in a kiddie pool. Another thought is Hawaii. I saw some great airfare with hotel on expedia, you might also want to check the airline sites, United, American etc.