Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Vacation with a 5 year old in late March or April?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

We are looking for a new destination to travel to with our 5 year old daughter. We have done Disney/St. Petersburg Beach the last few years. It is definitely time for a change.

We are considering going to Aruba, but aren't sure we want to go there since we can't get a direct flight out of Detroit, Michigan.

Can anyone give us some recommendations for a trip? We were thinking possibly
1) Arizona (Sedona, Grand Canyon, etc)
2) San Diego - lots to do there, but it sounds like it might be too cold.
3) Aruba

We don't have to have super duper warm weather, but we want at least a heated pool for some outdoor recreation.
Any thouhts? Thanks. Susan
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 12:31 PM

Susan- Have you considered Jamaica? A friend of mine stayed at the Rose Hall Resort and had a great time! Her kids loved the new waterpark at the resort!
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 05:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Loved aruba and it is hot! We stayed at the Marriott and would recommend it. It is a big resort.

Arizona scottsdale area should be warm and very pleasant that time of year. We stayed at the phonecian and it was beautiful (company trip).

Grand Cayman is a nice island. Very beautiful waters and good snorkeling. We stayed at the marriott there as well and were pleased. The marriott in GC is a much smaller marriott with a smaller pool. Some like the Westin better because it has a bigger beach/pool area. GC, like Aruba has good food and friendly people.
GC has less of a nightlife, but with a 5 year old in tow, I doubt that is what you are after.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 05:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Our school spring break falls the week before easter, I am sure the week after easter is busy as well. Prices may be less, if you can avoid those two weeks for travel.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 05:48 PM

What about St Thomas? It's a lot closer than Aruba, and flights will probably be cheaper. We took our 3.5 yr old to St Thomas/St John and she had a blast!

Also, there's lots to do with kids in the Naples/Ft Myers area of Florida.

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 05:11 AM

We're looking @ Puerto Rico right now for Spring Break, my kids a 3 & 6.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 10:52 AM

Grand Cayman would be a great choice! The beach is gorgeous and she would love a trip to the turtle farm, aka Boatswain's Beach.

Puerto Rico is another excellent suggestion. We stayed at the El Conquistador in Puerto Rico many (many) years ago. I understand they now have a water park there. I'm sure there's a lot of great places in Puerto Rico. It would probably be more reasonable in cost than Grand Cayman.

You may try posting in the Caribbean forum to find out about which islands you could fly to direct from Detroit.