Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Vacation Suggestions Needed for Apr/May 2003!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 07:55 AM
Lenore

Hubby and I (both in early 40's - childfree) would like suggestions for a 6-8 day vacation after Easter, but before Memorial Day 2003. We're already planning a trip to Seattle and Vancouver in August of 2003. We like hiking, biking, kayaking, snorkeling, waterfalls and other natural beauty, plus historical sites and general sight seeing. We are not into the club scene. We don't want any place that could possibly have snow or temperatures below 50 degrees (in late April or May). We've been to the Caribbean and Vegas a number of times, as well as many other places. Thinking about the Myrtle Beach area or the North Carolina shore area. Is it warm enough then? Your input is greatly appreciated....thanks!

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 08:55 AM
Debi

North/South Carolina could be warm enough for you, and if you want natural beauty - I'd head for the Outer Banks in NC. Another option would be Florida - there is alot to do there with the Everglades, the Keys (neat to drive to and sightsee a bit), the different beaches (East and West Coasts). Another place I love is Sedona, Arizona - not sure of the temperature then, but it is fabulous. Last time we were there, we flew into Vegas and then drove to Sedona. It was a really nice ride (saw the Hoover Dam). Also, there are gorgeous Parks around Utah - but it's probably too cold then. I'm not sure where you're from - but Southern California is also great - lots to do there, as well.....

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 09:21 AM
Utahtea

Debi,

We've been to the parks in Utah in May and had beautiful weather. Infact, it was down right hot.

Yosemite National Park in California is a great place to visit during the spring. The waterfalls are at their best this time of year. You can get snow but it won't last long.

If you like hiking, biking and natural beauty you won't find any better than the National Parks of Utah. Try a week in the Moab, Utah area. Arches & Canyonlands National Parks, Dead Horse State Park. Scenic Hwy 128 along the Colorado River, petroglyphs along the river roads. Moab is a hikers & bicyclist paradise. Spring is the best time before it gets to hot to hike. Rent a jeep and go off on the many wonderful 4x4 roads.

Utahtea

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 10:13 AM
Lenore

Thanks for the suggestions. We live in South Florida, so except for the panhandle area, we've pretty much seen this state. We've also already been to Yosemite, Zion, Grand Canyon (although never hiked it and would like to) and Sedona....all of which we LOVED. We've also been to San Francisco but never to Southern CA, which sounds good. Any other ideas?

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 10:28 AM
travellyn

How about a driving trip through the Texas Hill Country? April is great for wildflower displays, and it's not really hot yet. Hiking, biking, tubing, etc. are great in that part of Texas, as are picturesque old German towns like Ferdricksburg. There are lots of fun B&Bs in the Hill Country.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 10:32 AM
travellyn

I meant Fredrickburg, and I hope I spelled it right this time. It might not have a u.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 10:33 AM
travellyn

Fredricksburg. There's something wrong with me today.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:03 AM
Sara

My suggestion would be Charleston and Savannah for some antebellum sightseeing. There used to be a springtime tour of homes in Charleston. Don't know if it's still going on tho. There are some places always open for tours but in spring private homes would open up for a time. I believe it was in April. There are a number of plantations in that area to tour too.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:16 AM
SA

The coast would be good - St. Aug, Amelia Island, Savannah, Charleston, Wilmington, NC... The OBX may be a little chilly that time of year, it just depends. Have you considered Italy or Greece??

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 01:10 PM
Lenore

Europe is a definite possibility. I'll have to research the climates and costs to see if we can swing it. We've already done all those Southern cities except Wilmington. We're looking for something new to explore. Thanks again!

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 01:13 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 09:39 AM
chuck

Lenore,

Hopefully this message will attract the attention of locals who can give you good information on the temperatures to expect, but . . .

Have you considered the NC mountains? Specifically, I am thinking of a vacation centered on Asheville and, to the south, Highlands/Cashiers. If you go just before Memorial Day, I believe you will catch some very nice weather.

Obviously there is lots of hiking to do, but you could also do some canoeing/kayaking in the area (e.g., the French Broad near Asheville, the Nantahala further west, or the New River further north, near the NC-VA border). And as for waterfalls, the area around Highlands & Cashiers (& Sapphire Valley east of Cashiers) has numerous beautiful falls.

Obviously you could tour the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Biltmore House, and Asheville itself.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Lenore

Chuck - Thanks for the suggestion but, guess what, we did the Asheville, Sapphire, Smoky Mountain trip about 2 years ago! My husband mentioned Costa Rica last night, so I'm starting to research it. Anybody with Costa Rica information.....please share!

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 12:51 PM
chuck

Lenore,

you folks are too well-traveled! I think you need to be giving the rest of us advice!