Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Vacation scrapbooking (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/vacation-scrapbooking-257277/)

Emily Sep 12th, 2002 05:18 AM

Vacation scrapbooking

Scrapbookers:<BR><BR>What kind of things do you collect while on vacation to use in your scrapbooks?

lisa Sep 12th, 2002 05:23 AM

Historic Bristol of Course!<BR>www.discoverbristol.com

??? Sep 12th, 2002 06:16 AM

What does these have to do with travel scrapbooks?

Alli Sep 12th, 2002 06:24 AM

I collect a lot of post cards! Esp. of places I didn't quite make it to. Also, leaves--my brother in law took some rocks.<BR><BR>Mostly, though, I collect pictures and memories. I'd love to be able to take a 3-D picture to feel these places when I'm back home.

Emily Sep 12th, 2002 06:39 AM

Alli, the leaves are a really good idea, especially for fall travelers. How do you preserve them?

Alli Sep 12th, 2002 06:41 AM

I put them in a little plastic bag (like a freezer/sandwich bag). I put a little note before each one saying where it's from. Keep in a flat place, then when packing, be sure to fold it into or under some shirts/jeans to keep them flat.

May Sep 12th, 2002 07:56 AM

I always keep interesting tickets/stubs to museums, attractions etc so i can include it on my page. Also free, take some nice colourful brochures/pamphlets of places visited for additional pictures for your pages. Maps are another good thing to bring back. I hand tear it and combine them with photos I've taken or brochures/pamphlets. <BR>I even kept a supermarket docket to show what prices are like for basic neccesities like food that I'd purchased! Basically anything goes! And when it's free it's even better! Who needs to buy lots of expensive postcards!

Sara Sep 12th, 2002 08:15 AM

I try to pick up lots of brochures, sometimes two so I can cut them up, plus they are free. I collect all kinds of ticket stubs and packaging for things I buy. An occasional flower or leaf or sand or rock (rocks don't work very well in a scrapbook). I do buy postcards, especially if my pictures won't turn out very well or I can't capture what they did for various reasons. Often the little bags they put souvenirs have things printed on them (i.e. Harrods, castles in England). <BR><BR>Train/transit passes, plane stubs, some of the lower denomination money and coins. Anything free!

Emily Sep 12th, 2002 08:45 AM

How do you attach leaves, sand,etc to your scrapbook pages so they stay in good condition?

Eva Sep 12th, 2002 09:54 AM

Don't forget foreign currency, especially some of the more colorful bills and unusually shaped coins.

ttt Sep 13th, 2002 01:59 PM

ttt

Rainy Sep 13th, 2002 03:06 PM

Emily - You can put leaves, sand, etc in memorabilia pockets.. they're like a little plastic envelope with sticky on the back to attach to your pages. Any scrapbook store would sell them, a lot of craft stores do too.

Emily Sep 16th, 2002 03:33 AM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

me Sep 16th, 2002 06:11 AM

Weather cards forcasting the next day's weather which are left are our pillows. We've found this is becoming quit common and very much appreciated as we plan tomorrow's day.

Mary Sep 17th, 2002 03:48 AM

I especially like postcards and ticket stubs.

ttt Sep 24th, 2002 10:37 AM

ttt