Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Vacation Out West - Newbie (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/vacation-out-west-newbie-272938/)

Karla Nov 13th, 2002 11:13 AM

Vacation Out West - Newbie

Husband wants to see the mountains and beauty somewhere out West -- Colorado, Montana, etc.; wants a nature experience, fishing, etc. I want comfort, good food and no bugs. Would be nice if we didn't have to fly out West, then drive 5 hours to our destination. Possible? If so, sounds like a resort or such. There are probably lots of possibilities but I don't even know where to begin to search, though I've tried. Our budget is mid to high; we're late 40's; on the East Coast; it would be Spring or Summer 2003. Before I go to a TA, what do you recommend? Websites to check out? Books?

J Nov 13th, 2002 11:30 AM

Yosemite---stay at Tenaya Lodge just outside the park or Ahwanee in the park. Fly to SF and drive 4 hours (sorry, hard to avoid, but worth it!)<BR><BR>Colorado---any of the ski towns are beautiful in the summer/fall, and get the mountains/fishing/nature, plus the creature comforts. Fly to Denver and take puddle jumper or drive a few hours to one.<BR><BR>Wyoming---There's an Aman resort in Jackson Hole (I think, maybe another toen). That certainly gets the creature comforts and high price.<BR><BR>

travellyn Nov 14th, 2002 09:32 AM

You might also consider Tall Timber resort, north of Durango, Colorado. It is reached by coming in on a helicopter, or riding the Narrow Gauge train from Durango. The resort is in the heart of the San Juan Mountains, with fly fishing and excellent hiking out the front door, and I understand that the food and lodging are very nice.<BR><BR>The down side is that you wouldn't have anywhere to shop, if you like to do that. It has always looked to me like it would make for a very relaxing vacation.<BR><BR>There is also a B&amp;B near Hesperus, 10-15 miles from Durango, that is consistently highly rated, called Blue Lake Ranch. The grounds are lovely, with many flowers, and the La Plata mountains are a few miles away. There's a good restaurant at the foot of the La Platas that my husband and I like to visit. Your husband could get in his nature fix, while you enjoyed the luxury.<BR><BR>United flies into Durango, so you'd be looking at less than an hour of driving to reach either Blue Lake Ranch or Tall Timber. Both places are at around 8000 feet, with mountains rising to 13,000-14,000 feet nearby.<BR><BR>Don't discount New Mexico, either. Santa Fe is only an hour or so from the Albuquerque airport, which is served by Southwest Airlines. There are some lovely alpine areas in New Mexico.<BR><BR>If you're planning to do anything in the Rocky Mountains, it's probably best to wait until June at the earliest.<BR><BR>To find as many options as possible, I'd probably try to find some book at the library with a title like &quot;Guide to the great resorts of the Rocky Mountains&quot;, or something like that.<BR>

Sara Nov 14th, 2002 09:49 AM

I am not much of a view person, I appreciate mountains for a few minutes but am just not one to be transfixed (I think maybe I take them for granted being from Oregon). I was amazed and awed by the Tetons. They are so beautiful! Jackson Hole has nice places and even in both Teton and Yellowstone Pakrs there are nice places.<BR><BR>I recently did lots of research on Glacier and it looks fabulous. The train goes right into the park and I am sure there is an airport close.

gc Nov 14th, 2002 10:06 AM

I'm with Sara,<BR>Fly into jackson Hole. Stay in Teton Village, jackson lake Lodge, Jenny Lake Lodge.<BR><BR>You'll get as much nature, cuisine, elegance, fishing as you want.<BR>No guarantees on bugs...but it sure isn't Florida.

John Nov 14th, 2002 11:26 AM

Two destinations spring to mind, both north of the border: Banff in the Canadian Rockies and Whistler BC. Banff is an hour and a bit from Calgary, Whistler a couple of hours (one of the world's most beautiful drives) from Vancouver. Both offer a wide range of accommodation, in-your-face scenery, and plenty of opportunities to commune with the critters. Plus your Yankee dollar will go pretty far, and (esp. with Whistler) if you want a wonderful big city start or finish, bingo.

travellyn Nov 14th, 2002 11:33 AM

I was thinking about Canada, too. You could have tea at Chateau Lake Louise in Banff NP while your husband did his fishing. I've never been to Whistler, but keep hearing about how nice it is.